The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Someone always has it worse than you do...

I got a phone call yesterday from a rather depressed young man. He is a former employee who has moved on to work for himself and more successful farmers but he is also a friend and we help each other out from time to time.
His best friend died in a helicopter crash in NY. I think he said it was the first day on the job.
Click here for a not very good news article about it
Somehow I think that my statement about the fragility of human life was not very helpful.
"You know you could walk out in the street and get hit by a bus, when its time to go its time to go..."
I've been trying to come up with comforting words.

5 comments:

  1. As you know it is not your words but your presence that are the greatest comfort. Words become cliches and platitudes but when you are there for him it is support.

    Lord, Give Budde the wisdom he needs to be the comfort he is.

    Amen.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pumice has it right. There is very little anyone can say in a case like that. What is needed is just the presence of a friend.
    I read about that crash when it happened. He had very little experience, and was hired to fly one of the most dangerous jobs out there. He shouldn't have even been considered for it. I guess nobody else wanted the job, and we all feel immortal at that age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friendly voice, a hand on the shoulder, a promise of prayer - that's about all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Words seem so useless at times like this. I find ears are more important. Sometimes people just need someone to listen to them; allowing them to express their grief and their memories.

    May your friend find comfort in knowing that you are there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is terrible. We have been to Corning several times, LuAnn's mother is not far from there. Lots of new wind turbines in the mountains.

    I stopped to see my logging neighbor to see if he would cut some trees for me. He said his wife was just diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and she wouldn't be here long. He said he didn't know what he was going to do.

    I offered prayer, he said thanks and then I read in the paper she died yesterday. At least she didn't suffer long.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!