The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, November 9, 2012

America goes into the darkness | Melanie Phillips

I have been listening to the radio in the tractor. I was amazed at Rush Limbaugh's take on the election. He sounded like the Rush of 20 years ago, before the golfing with Carl Rove and the 15 wives and the pain-killer addiction. Rush was advocating a return to core values and putting up candidates who believe in something and not just picking the guy the Republican party brass thinks will win. Sounded good.
Lars came on and I switches to NPR. It was also interesting. They were reporting Obama failings, a couple days too late.
But I really miss Michael Savage. I miss his crazy rants which sometimes made sense. I liked it when he just started playing weird Cuban music or launched into a story about NYC and his youth. Or being young in the 1960's or Fiji or anything but politics.
I don't miss his advertising but of course, talk radio attracts the crazies.
So this morning I went to his blog and I found this.
It is interesting  i think.

America goes into the darkness | Melanie Phillips

And I lifted this link from an advertisement for her book.

"In what we tell ourselves is an age of reason, we are behaving increasingly irrationally. A loss of religious belief has led the West to replace reason and truth with ideology and prejudice. The result has been a kind of mass derangement, as truth and lies, right and wrong, victim and aggressor are all turned upside down." - Melanie Phillips.

This is exactly what I think but have been unable to articulate. There are important rules of human nature.
We (humans) must have religion. If we don't have it will invent it. It doesn't have to involve a deity. If there is no deity it is called ideology. If we are really self important we call it science. Real scientists may or may not object, generally they just like the increased funding.
I think that it is important to note that the loss of your cultural religion/belief system leaves the culture with no restraints and no conscience. Witness the revolutions in China and Russia. It is especially troubling to lose our Christian faith as has been interpreted more and more to promote individual self-determination and human rights.
My democrat neighbor just gave me a lecture on how I was full of crap and that Christianity perpetuated the worst crimes in history. I noted that non-Christian killed each other wantonly as well and that all he had proved was that mankind is capable of horrific brutality.
Anyway, that is my opinion after the election. I imagine the worst but expect merely a continuing slide into Orwell's "1984" - lite version...
Have a nice day.

6 comments:

  1. My wife told me about what Rush had to say. I found it encouraging and thought provoking. I don't seem to be able to listen to him live. I may need to spring for the podcast.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The world is changing. Some of us are stuck in a previous century. Like the nineteenth century...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see now, England outlaws the slave trade and later declares slavery illegal in the Empire. The Homestead Act gives land to the poor and dispossessed of the world. The Civil War and a couple of amendments to the Constitution bring slavery to an end. The industrial revolution puts a better life in the reach of everyone. Sounds like something to look forward to.

      Grace and peace.

      Delete
    2. Yes indeed!
      Not to mention the contributions of Thomas Crapper in the 1880's.
      I must say I could attribute much of my passion for blogging to Mr. Crapper. Of course there is also my diet of Snickers Bars and Coffee...and the occasional steak for dinner.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!