The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, November 16, 2012

I make bean soup

My wife asked me if I would make bean soup this morning. She was on the way to school. It was 7:30 a.m.
So I agreed.
I set about boiling two cups of beans. (white)
I cut up an onion and two cloves of garlic. (A nice big Walla-Walla sweet onion)
I found a nice chunk of ham in the refrigerator.
I could not find cilantro, which is kind of the secret ingredient in tasty bean soup.
I did boil the beans and pour off the nutrients with the water. I am fairly sure it is those very nutrients which will bring back that pesky duck which tends to stalk me and quack at inopportune times.
Plus, I hate crunchy beans in bean soup.
I started to add bacon but I have no self control and a limited attention span and when the bacon started to sizzle I thought of eggs and I had a late breakfast of bacon and eggs. No grits. Not a true Son of the South.
Anyway, I added the ham, onion, garlic, a little salt, a little pepper, the beans which I boiled for 10 minutes and then rinsed, into the crock pot and turned it on high.
When I came in for lunch the soup smelled quite delicious. It does lack something.
Cilantro, I think.
There is a bucket of really nice 3rd cutting alfalfa leaves for the Chinchillas...Alfalfa is green, Cilantro is green...
I wonder....
Hmmmmm.

5 comments:

  1. My sister who lives in Canada, gave us some freeze dried kale. It is supposed to be good for you. It is supposed to taste good. It smells just like a bale of hay. Maybe she has been in the far north for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some folks eat alfalfa sprouts; guess you could TRY the leaves. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. All that liquid beneficial bubonic beaniferousness down the drain? Maybe try a different liquid, like a Tsunami Stout. A properly relaxed duck will not quack, or at least will not care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently discovered that one of the most persistent weeds in my garden (purslane) is actually edible and quite good for what ails you. I have not yet been adventurous enough to try it though.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!