The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, June 17, 2012

It is not really a 9 to 5 job...

Apparently it is now Sunday morning....
I'm still thinking Saturday evening.
It was one of those days...
My neighbor has been helping us with some farming. He has 50 acres of hay down which I said I would help him with. We do not get finished with our silage and now it is going to rain. We loaned him the baler and the stacker. Neither were really ready to go.
He called me this evening at 9:30 or so. The farmer who helps him and was going to run the stacker brought the stacker over and left and now is not answering his phone. I think he told me his plans for stacking this afternoon but as I was talking to him on the phone the PTO failed on the White 2-155 and I forgot everything he said. Of course when the PTO fails and you are chopping silage it plugs up the spout on the chopper and that took a half hour to unplug.
Nothing really worked right today. The stacker wouldn't start, there was water in the fuel. (We did get the rebuilt transmission in last night.) The truck quit. (fuel filter on it also) The other baler wouldn't tie.
So anyway... I got to thinking about the 1600 bales that need to be picked up before the rain scheduled for Monday and all the things that went wrong today and I decided I better go over and pick up a few acres and make sure it worked.
It didn't. The bales wouldn't slide, the two speed rear axle is stuck in high, there is some problem in the hydraulic valve I rebuilt so that you have to hold the lever that controls the bale pickup just right or the first table chain stops and the first table won't lift and the brakes stick.
But I picked up 14 stacks in 2.5 hours so it wasn't that bad.
I wish I had not consumed so much of that iced coffee my wife made for me. Perhaps i should have just kept stacking!

4 comments:

  1. You'll have days like that. That's why some folks drink.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, that is some bad luck alright. This is not a nine to five job for me either. In fact its not really a job and sometimes it is five to nine if I feel that fits the situation. And once again the sound of softly falling rain beating on my window pane indicates this will be a day of rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came home and read your lazy farmer post and it made me feel better. You do have you ask yourself why you do it. I guess at this point I am not sure what else I would do.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!