The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, June 25, 2012

Ashes Cafe, Krazy Ikes Plastic Pieces, Wine Country follies, whatever...

I stopped by the garage sale held by the owner of Ashe's Cafe on Sunday. She is selling pretty much everything she can sell to pay off the help. I got two coffee mugs and Crazy Ike's Plastic Pieces. I've been looking for Plastic Man parts for ages. Uncle T and Aunt D got me a set at the last Christmas held at the old Farm House with Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt A.
I thought they were so cool. A little brittle but still cool. Sort of like how I view myself.
More about Crazy Ikes-click here

I played with them for a while Sunday afternoon. The daughter was not as impressed as I was. Oh well...
It sounds like the Historic Amity Downtown is going pretty much empty aside from the Blue Goat and Dad's Market.
The landlords are not keeping up with repairs and it is a mess of plumbing and roofing problems. I would think you would be pretty much crazy to try and start up a new cafe or any other business with the buildings in the shape they are in. But, it looks cool and old and someone will bite.
Meanwhile the new grocery store appears to operate at a loss with the goal of displacing Dad's Market when the roof falls in. Progress...
The future belongs to short pants people with deep pockets who don't need to run a Mini-Mart or a Cafe to survive. And robot tractors-click here...
I imagine the city council wants Amity to look like all the other wine country towns. Cafes replaced by wine tasting rooms and little boutiques run by women who have plenty of money and nothing to do. Perhaps we will get a "vibrant arts scene" as well.
No downtown parking and tree to dodge when driving through town.
Tourists and bicycles are the wave of the future.
Perhaps I should open a bicycle shop.
I wonder if Mr. Garrison has a patent on his bicycle design? I would love to see the Amity City Manager on a Mr. Garrison bicycle leading the Amity Daffodil festival parade.
I think I will go to the Blue Goat for lunch today. CLICK here for a link to the website and menu

I will have the:

Forager’s Panzanella
Tender toasted chewy house bread chunks with aromatic herbs, tossed in a pickled onion vinaigrette with local foraged lady fern fiddleheads, wild greens, and flowers.  Finished with shaved Boerenkaas aged gouda from Willamette Valley Cheese Co.  

Followed by the:

Bolivian Fried Egg with smoked onion dip
Hard boiled farm egg wrapped in potato dough and deep-fried.  Served with house pickled peppers.

For the main dish perhaps the:

Country-Style Pork Pâté
Served with lemon pickled onion, apple chutney, and house-made porter brown whole grain mustard.  With toasted house bread.

I figure You can't go wrong with Fiddleheads and apple chutney....and I really need to be more cultured. Heck, just this Saturday I went to a BBQ/Birthday people and sat next to some winery people. Perhaps they will take a ton of hay in trade. Or perhaps some nicely ground barley, infused with gently aged second cutting non-GMO Alfalfa, a hint of 40-year-old molasses, and topped off with red clover screenings. For our discerning goat gourmets I have a special blend with a  hint of tin can and essence of old shoe leather but it is a premium feed and made by appointment only.

Actually, I did find a few menu items close to my budget. I usually don't like to spend more than $5 for lunch but they have a pulled pork sandwich for $8, A hamburger for $10, Small Pizza for $10. Perhaps I could just go in there and ask for something random like you could do at Ashes Cafe. Who knows, perhaps I could bring in my own cat to have cooked? 

Just say no to wine!

Update: I can see the pasture out the sliding back door. I can see the driveway that has been traveled by several of the better farmers in the neighborhood. I cannot bring myself to get out of this chair. I think my clever helper has arrived. Of course he will spend a half hour drinking coffee in the store. I do not want to go to work today. I do not want to walk out that door... Perhaps another cup of coffee... I do have a new coffee mug...

5 comments:

  1. A hundred Main Streets, a hundred Ashes Cafes. I can still see the map on the wall of my grandparents farmhouse kitchen. Railroads and rivers were the most prominent features. Roads were red, blue or black and none were divided. Every town on that map had a life and a starring role in the future.

    I'm taking my banjo and walking over to Geezerville. Don't let them take your sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robot tractors, now that is just depressing. Its not farming , or at least not my kind of farming. I've put in thousands of hours on tractors and still never tire of it. Guess I am not management material, the type of "shortpants farmer" that will sit in his office running his robot tractor across the fields via his smart phone.
    But then maybe my ancestors said the same things about the demise of horse farming because of these new fangled, gas burning tractors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The egg actually sounds pretty good. They had me at deep-fried! Not so sure about the wild greens and flowers.

    Have you ever had stinging nettles? They actually aren't too bad, boiled. You could make a request for a new menu item!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You answer turned into another blog post as I'm lazy. Could you zip over in a combine and get me another cup of coffee? I don't want to get out of my chair... I sure wish someone collected Hesston 6600's we have three of them, would like to trade for one 14ft and a little newer...

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!