The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, February 25, 2012

I watched Steve Martin on Austin City Limits

He won a Grammy for his album "The Crow."
I actually bought a new CD this year. It was a bluegrass CD. Well, actually my wife bought it for me but I put it on my Amazon wish list and it was a brand spanking new release. This is really something for me as usually the albums I buy are limited to $2 and for $2 the has to be a dust sleeve and no scratches.
It was not by Steve Martin.
While Mr. Martin's name does I suppose bring some recognition to the genre I don't find it particularly fresh or exciting. Just your standard smug and kid of cheesy Steve Martin fare. I see his music as more of a novelty act, supported by his acting career.
This was pretty much confirmed by his performance on Austin City Limits.
The CD I got was Travers Chandler and Avery Country, "State of Depression." I thought it was a nice combination of traditional and modern with a certain edge to it. And of course, very depressing.
I also happen to be a fan of Flying Pig Fiddle & Banjo. I would really like to meet them in person. I wonder if I could get an autograph on my "Warper" CD, must have picked it up at Goodwill as I don't see it on Amazon. I bet they set around the house in the winter and roast trout on the BBQ and listen to The Legendary Stardust Cowboy and drink Dandelion wine or perhaps do that in a different order.
Whatever...

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, dandelion wine would explain it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last anybody heard of the Flying Pig Fiddle & Banjo people they were down around the freight yards consulting with steam powered robot hobo musicians to figure the sequence of trains to jump to get to the next Daily Strumpet office party.

    Actually, it was a dry red clover wine and walleye. Midwestern thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to put some of my Leonard Cohen albums on tape for your enjoyment. My favorite poet. You will probably enjoy his songs. Best with a glass or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. three intense days of live stage performances. With more than 130 bands appearing on eight stages, you know you are going to have fun. Here are a few tips on how to survive it. Welcome to the Live Music Capitol of the World CityLimits.org

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!