The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The difference between ideas and fufilment of said ideas is success vs failure, but there is a third way, The Salvage Operation

I hate to admit to being incompetent. The point where you give up is the point where you fail. But, I have some issues. I have been a bottom feeder so long that scrounging is instinctive. Even to the point of compromising a good idea. I have been confused about whether my Uncle is mad at me or not for so long that I am always on edge around the shop, even though I am over 40 and it no longer matters!
So, I am trying to build a light weight sprayer to pull behind a fourwheeler to spray wet and muddy fields.

It was a good design. But the execution of that design has not worked perfectly.
I continually warp the metal when I weld, even though I should know what I am doing. (I've read the book) I do stupid things like use 6013 rod instead of 6011 because I found some behind the welding bench in the shop with the flux chipped and I don't have to pay for it. I switch rod sizes with out adjusting the welder. I forget to clamp the work, or I weld too much on one side before turning it over. I forget the chip hammer. I get rusty metal out of the scrap pile, so I don't have to pay for it.
I mix .082 and .120 wall tubing and then burn holes in the .082. Instead of ordering 3/8 3x3 angle iron I used 1/4. I center punched a row of holes and somehow got them out of line.
The trailer is no longer light weight but may bust in half. (Where did I put that .082 tubing)
I did buy a welder.
It is pretty neat. It is a Lincoln Ranger. Here is a photo. The fellow made me a deal. Can't resist a deal...
Have a nice day.
PS: To those who faithfully leave comments and whose blogs I usually leave comments. Sorry I have not responded. I am trying to get this trailer done and figure out pig feed rations so I have not been wandering about the internet.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the incompetent builders club Budde. Although I have had a few successful builds/repairs, I have also left a trail of burnt metal monstrosities along the way. I usually run out of patience, ambition, the right kind of metal, (luck?) in a lot of my projects before they are done and they turn back into scrap metal for the next "project". After nearly 40 years of burning up rods with the old Smith/Roles 180 amp, I really need to learn how to use my brother's mig.
    Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes a kindred spirit. If I ever do compete the project it ends up being way to complicated with some essential weak link that only I understand how to repair and then I forget.
      Like the automatic fertilizer rate controller I scrounged together for my grain drill. It lends new meaning to the term "Shop built..."

      Delete
    2. in the south we use a bit different terminology to describe our homemade endeavors

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!