The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, February 17, 2012

We didn't buy the Fire Truck...

Yesterday we went to look at a Fire Truck. I would love to have a Fire Truck. It actually would be quite handy as we have fires from time to time. We have set fire to a swather, two combines, balers, fields with balers in them, a shed, and various other small items.
There have been no really good fires since we quit using White combines, Freeman Balers, and Slant Six powered Hesston swathers on a regular basis but the thought of flames on a hot summer day has never really left my mind.
So having a bright red 1966 Ford pumper truck setting in the field would be comforting.  We could have got it for $1,500 from a friend. He sold it five minutes after we left for $1,800. Oh well, forever a bridesmaid, that is I...
Our friend is a pretty interesting guy. He has anger management issues. This coupled with a heightened sense opinion of right and wrong results in some interesting confrontations. He has been banned from a number of places.
I have no idea why we (brother and I) have been friends with him for so long. We don't take him with complete seriousness but respect him for his incredible mechanical abilities and the positive parts of his character, I guess. We also live a few miles apart.
When he bugged me about selling him my 1946 Chevy pickup that I truly loved, I told him that I would take his low offer but if he cut it up for scrap or turned around and sold it for more money within a year of purchase I would be really annoyed. I pointed out that I had know him for years and while the truck was in fact rusting into the dirt in my mind it was destined to be driven. It just needs a bearing on the input shaft of the transmission and it will run.
That was not true, mice had ruined the seat, the bed was full of leaves and had rotted out, and it smokes, plus the brakes were shot from setting. Also, the whole truck was incredibly beat up. So badly that I figured the fenders as a total loss. However, I drove it that way for several years and had a lot of fun with it.
I got to drive it yesterday. I remember the smell and the sound of a Chevy 235 six cylinder, (I removed the 216) It is still pretty beat up but he polished the hubcaps and steam cleaned the truck. It was nice to drive it again.
I suppose it is destined for either restoration or to be parted out but more than one year has passed and so I have nothing to say about its future.
It is now stored inside.
I feel better about that...
Have a nice day, I'm going to go attempt to build a small sprayer, grind some chicken feed, and I'm getting off to a slow start.

8 comments:

  1. I'm into those partial "restorations" of old trucks myself. Not that I will likely ever get that far but I would hate to restore a vehicle to such a stage of perfection that I was afraid to drive it on gravel roads or if there was a rain cloud in the sky. Think "ratrod". Or better yet, google it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forgive you for not calling me! Especially if the engine wasn't frozen. It would have been more useful than a old dump truck.!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did it have a siren?

    ReplyDelete
  4. He said it had a siren! And the engine ran well!
    *&^%$%^$

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just kidding about being upset. Actually this one would be ideal! http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2839043247.html

    Too bad it's so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fire extinguishers usually don't have problems starting when you most need them and they cost less than $1,500. That said, they also don't have the classy look of a firetruck of your own.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumice: If a fire extinguisher was enough to put out a house, barn, "...swather, two combines, balers, and fields with balers in them",etc., they would not have burned. We have to be our own fire department, because of our rural location. If the field goes, so goes the crop.
    One rarely sees farm equipment without an extinguisher, yet they burn. Google "burning combine"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that is one thing I would not understand living in the city. We take so much for granted.

      Grace and peace.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!