The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, January 27, 2012

I went to the North West Ag Show

I went to the Northwest Ag Show in Portland on Tuesday. It was interesting.
I may become a dealer for a mineral supplement. If I think I can make money with only a 15% mark up. I am not sure this is good thing for me as I tend to knock a few dollars off for people just to build empathy.
You can check it out at www.grolicks.com
I am interested as there is nothing really like it on the market. It lets you give grass fed beef a little extra protein, minerals, and energy in the winter when the grass is not so good. Grass fed beef is what sells here. Grain fed is bad. Unless I am eating it... Grass fed is marketing BS...
Speaking of Marketing BS, right next to the grolicks guy were these guys who sell a device which exposes your irrigation water to magnetism. That is why I got started talking to Mr. Grolicks. I got bored with their speech after I found out the price.
They had photos and charts and all sorts of proof that it works. It does sound amazing. It softens hard water and I am sure it would grow the hair back on my bald spot that is always covered by a cap.
We listened to the speech and my brother held up one of the devices for a 1" line. They had them for 1" up to 8" water lines. They were little tubes with permanent magnets in them.
The fellow said it was "six" for the one my brother had and "8" for the big one. Or something like that. It was not $6 nor was it $60 or even $600. Not it was $6,000 and $8,000. And that is where he lost me.
I would rather $6,000 down on $30,000 worth of lime than $6,000 on a magnet in a plastic tube.
After hay selling moisture testers at the ag show for years and listening to people complain about the price of something you have to have, I was incredulous at the magnet booth. Actually, I bet you could make more money off spending $500 on a Delmhorst soil moisture tester and a couple boxes of gypson blocks and doing a good moisture management program than you could running your water through a magnet. Or $850 on an Acquaterr hand held probe which also has a built in pH meter.
But I digress...
Here is an example of the magnet scam...
Here is another discussion from HempUSA.com. (I think it is kind of funny)
Here is a disagreement...
I think I will try hooking up a few magnets to the water supply and see what happens. It will probably attract aliens. I worry about aliens...

4 comments:

  1. "Why is your magnetic water conditioning system so inexpensive when compared to other selling for $600.00 or more? " Well, we have discovered that we will still make a zillion% profit selling at a fraction of the competition's price. Let me set you up with a few.WWW.MuddyVallyMagnetsUninc.scam

    ReplyDelete
  2. 20 Neodymium Magnet 1/4 x 1/16" Disc Rare Earth NdFeB on eBay. $5.00
    All scams aside:
    I find these really useful. One of them will hold a pair of fence pliers or pruning shears on the dash of the jeep and they won't shake off. As an added bonus they keep aliens, elephants, and tigers away. Pulling some machinery apart? One will hold an amazing pile of bolts and nuts. Swallow a couple and you won't need a hammer hanger on your belt, or a pocket for your knife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I have been around long enough to see the second coming of magnetic power. I recall 40 years ago when a seed treating device was marketed here. Just a magnet attached to the down spout on the drill fill so the seed passing through received the beneficial effects of magnetism. Smoke and mirrors again. The latest is pumping tractor exhaust into the ground when planting crops. Its both environmentally friendly and a source of additional nitrogen (so they say). I am interested but skeptical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those seed treatment magnets too! Lucky we were too poor to buy one or dad would have.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!