The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I am never allowed to make a mistake or do anything stupid

I have lived on this farm since, I don't know, 1975?
Over the course of those years we have only plowed next to the river two times in the fall. We have never left anything at the base of the hill leading out of the river bottom. The river has not significantly flooded in two years anyway.
This year we planted alfalfa near the river. We plowed and limed the ground. In the process we drug a lot of dirt into a low spot and then heavily seeded the low spot to oats and annual ryegrass.
This year the river came up twice. This last time it was high enough to flood out the dead truck we left in the field. I didn't think it was completely dead. I guess it is now.
The river is pretty much flowing through the low spot and I doubt there is any residue of the topsoil I drug into it or a sprig of annual or oats.
I am glad I didn't plow any more ground than what I did.
I see from my weather page that there has been another flood advisory issued for later this week.
Nice...

5 comments:

  1. Farming seems a lot like gambling. Then again life is a gamble.
    Praying for you and your truck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..thought farmers could never get enough rain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is such a thing as too much water! I thought they said this was going to be a dry year. Maybe the river will bring in some of your neighbor's top soil.
    Masonville road is flooded & muddy creek is up to my bridge again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well the State of Oregon let their motor pool go under water, about 140 nice vehicles that actually ran!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!