The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

I annoy myself with Peter, Paul, and Mary

I have been listening to the TC-631 out in the shop. Yesterday I found a reel with folk music from the 1960's. It features Peter, Paul, and Mary and Joan Baez and probably someone else but they really all sound the same.
Now here's the deal...
When I was a wee lad I thought "Puff the Magic Dragon," was an awesome song. But I don't know if I ever made it all the way through a full album.
After 120 minutes of pain I actually can't believe people really listened to this crap. It is smarmy, self congratulating, shallow drivel. "Oh look at me, I'm young and white, and self aware, and war is bad, and I've been given everything I ever wanted and I want to be a commie, but not a real commie, and oh boy, it is up to us to change the world. I think it is the "it is up to us to change the world," BS is what gets me the most. Other than that clever guitar picking. And Oh my! Another folk song! They put down the people from their own heritage who were singing about real pain. (Think Hank Williams)
I listened to PP & M sing "Blowing in the Wind," and I had to think about the corruption that has totally become the hallmark of their generation. All that high minded coffee ship drivel and they are sellouts.
So...
For those of you who grew up in the 1960's I ask you... How could you listen to this crap without scratching out your ears?
Was it to nail the hippie chicks? (I can understand that)
Did you just really like coffee?
Were you absolutely stoned out of your mind the whole time?

And I ask myself, if you were recording stuff from the mid 1960's why not (never thought I would say this) The Greatful Dead!
Or Ramblin Jack Elliot, or be the first one to follow Townes Van Zant, or Bobby Wayne (Harold's Super Service) or Ian Tyson, or rather than hear Joan Baez earnestly style another folks song, join the Army and volunteer for Nam...

I had to listen to the Legendary Stardust Cowboy to clear my eardrums of congealed sugar and little pink and fluffy butterflies that looked like Che' on his Norton.


15 comments:

  1. As for me, I was more in to Mississippi John Hurt , Leadbelly, and Woody Guthrie, and played a little in a jug band for fun. PP&M are and always have been, in it for the money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually liked Joan Baez and most of the other music you mentioned but can't say I am rushing to buy or download any of it nowadays. Maybe I was way too naieve and shallow to give any thought to their politics or some subliminal message they may have been trying to send. It just sounded good. And I don't want to talk about some of the garbage I recorded (and saved) from the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, I miss my 8 tracks. I was more into Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, and Marshall Tucker.
    Of course, back in the day, my crystal set could have played us some Cowboy concertos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was more into John Denver when he came along. Guess I liked the sound. Of course I also liked Chet Atkins and Don Williams.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll see Muddy's list and raise him Robert Johnson, Charlie Poole and Frank Blevins. I had a Columbia LP reissue of string band and blues recordings from the 20's and 30's that was not a a favorite of roommates.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I'll just leave it at I don't like PP&M or Joan Baez. Of course I can't stand to listen to a lot of stuff I liked as a college kid.
    Other than the Ledge...

    ReplyDelete
  7. And why didn't any of you guys save your reel to reels or 8-tracks or records? I now have three turntables, four reel to reels, and a little short on speakers and receivers but I am accumulating.
    I am so headed for an episode of Hoarders!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think there are a few 8-tracks lurking around here. One of them is cowboys yodeling which I picked up at a Goodwill for the amusement of my father in law and somewhere there is Blood on the Tracks. Nothing to touch the Ledge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I did save my 8 track and a whole box of tapes. None by PP&M and my New Riders of the Purple Sage tape won't play any more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still looking for the album that had among other cowboy songs, "Blood on the saddle":
    There was blood on the saddle
    and blood all around
    and a great big puddle
    Of blood on the ground
    A cowboy was lying there
    All bloody with gore
    and he won't be ropin...etc.

    Far superior to the Ledge!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My memory aint too bad!
    Tex Ritter:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKI21fdR7jg

    Of course it was sung by someone else on my record.

    ReplyDelete
  12. By this guy:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmUjFlPMy4

    Sons of the Pioneers was also always a favorite group.
    I've always preferred Trad music, whether jazz or folk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lost my entire collection during Katrina. Starting over with a used/abused Yamaha amp and tuner, with JBL speakers. Turn the tuner to Bob105 FM and let them flip the disks.
    Used to make party tapes with the big reels. Stayed up all night making them. Next night listening to them, we'd wonder what we were thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison holds up. I should make sure my parents don't throw away their LPs from that era.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cops of the World

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJbYVX9ka2M&feature=related

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!