The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, January 13, 2012

Choosing your own destiny

I like to read the Surviving in Argentina blog. I have mixed feelings about the whole end-of-the-world and stockpile ammo and guns crowd and I kind of avoid linking to those sorts of blogs. (although I secretly read them sometimes. However, I thought Mr. Argentina provides a lot of good sense info that will keep you safe no matter where you travel. I guess this is a bit ironic, but especially if you don't like to walk around armed to the teeth. He gives lots of good info on being self aware, paying attention, what to have ready in an emergency.
I was brought up in a small subsection of the Christian faith that has often faced persecution from everyone, including other Christians. I married a nice girl who came from another branch of the faith that has also been thrown in jail for not following the status quo from time to time. When I was a kid I read stories of Christians in Russia and China and tales of Bible smugglers and people being thrown in jail for refusing to shoot other people even though God was on their side.
So the idea of having to pack up your stuff and leave on a moments notice or being sent to the re-education camp has kind of settled in the back of my head. Not that I am really prepared for anything and I really hate to get my kid into that mindset as she seems so happy and well adjusted.
But...
Mr. Argentina did it... He packed up and left. His family took what they could carry and moved to Northern Ireland. He has my respect and admiration. I don't know if I could do it.
I really need to start selling my crap on ebay. Who really needs a collection of Marx Cowboys, Musty old books, boxes of LP records, old stereo equipment and every toy I every played with since I was born?
I don't need it, it brings me down, my kid doesn't need every lego that has gone through Goodwill in Yamhill country.
I have no idea where I would go but I would like the option of doing it.

5 comments:

  1. I need all that stuff Budde. And if it came to the point of packing everything up and fleeing to safety, I don't know where I'd go. Maybe I'm already here. I like to think our severe winters keep the riff raff out. ":-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it hits the fan, there is room here. Bring a tractor & seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm too old and too fat to pack up and leave. I'll hold 'em off with gunfire from the front door if I can, and try slipping out the back door if I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always interested in what others who have their head on straight are reading. Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

    I understand the concern. I am only too aware that Jesus said, "Turn the other cheek" and "go the extra mile." We each need to seek the mind of God on this one. For me, I also note that there is a place where he told the disciples to buy a sword as they went out and I don't see him rejecting the centurion because he was a soldier.

    Not easy, but then who said it would. That is part of having a living faith that requires us to engage our brains as well as our heart.

    Remember, if you look lazy enough and let your farm run down, the marauders will go on to your rich neighbors.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the rich neighbors. That's what I'm depending on.
    Can't really see fleeing, but I do have friends and family in Tn. and Kain Tuck.
    Of course many of them are the gun toting types.
    It's nice to have the options.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!