The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, November 17, 2014

The sun was out and it was a nice day

I needed to make skids for my remaining grain bin so that I can fill it with barley and not have it tip over. My brother suggested an old truck frame of which we have more than two.
It really seemed like a good idea. I roughly calculated that it would take at least $25 per foot to make skids out of 3/8" flat bar and have it formed.
It took me a good solid day to cut and trim two 11 foot chunks of truck frame. (Well, I did take an hour to load some hay and have a nice chat with Mr. MuddyValley.)

After dark I spent some time figuring out what I was owed and who owed me. I did twice as much stacking as last year but only planted a small fraction of the acres I usually plant, I got 25% less hay yield and I lost my main pig feed customer. It would be ok but I spent a lot of money on things like tractor tires and a better rake thinking I would do my usual 500 acres of no-till. I'm not going to starve but I'm feeling just a little annoyed about a number of things that there is no point in discussing.
I do think I would have been better off spending the $25 per foot and just buying the steel. I have real work to do.
Perhaps I'll post a photo...

2 comments:

  1. I have seen a few disasters here from trying to economize on skids for hopper bins. Mine are double row 4x4 square tubing and they probably cost quite a bit back in 1997 when I bought the bin. Only mistake I made was not buying two. The bins are pretty much double in price now while the wheat I put in them has dropped to below 1997 levels. Anybody want some cheap feed wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm using an old truck frame and the plan was to put 4" x 7" tubing in the middle so I could move it with the forklift but the tubing gets in the way of the auger so I'm trying to come up with a different plan for moving it. Sometimes I have trouble visualizing success. I could use some feed wheat but think shipping might be a problem.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!