The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, January 27, 2011

I am rediscovered by (a) subscribers to The Daily Strumpet! Whoop! Whoop!

I tell you the Blue Goat is one hot topic in town. Even though my attention span is short enough that I don't really care so much anymore.... I think that many locals were watching the renovation and hoping desperately for something like the Sage Restaurant (Soup, Sandwiches, Salad, and really good) and now they are a little let down.  (I liked the Sage as it was located above the ladies underwear department in the 1889 building and you would have to walk by all the delicates to get to the stairs. A cute girl would usually offer to help me and I always wanted to say, "I'm looking for something for my....Aunt.... she is really tall. But I figured they would just scream and run away and not laugh at all!)
But, I digress!

Anyway, I woke up this morning after a fitful sleep, dreaming of expensive tractor parts and junky old international trucks, to find this comment in my email!
While I think they should have registered with Google and become a follower, and it could be just someone messing with my head, here it is! An old subscriber found me!

"Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Blue Goat":

Oh, buddy how we have missed your columns over the years. I still revel over past issues of The Daily Strumpet. It is good to see you back in print. After visiting the The Blue Goat myself I found your observations to be quite an accurate. I love the description of their "Scantily Clad Pizza". I had a quite different pizza when I ordered it. Mine had potatoes and 2 pieces of onion and not much else. Good flavor and all, but potatoes? That's where your friends mothers potatoes went. My friend thinks the phenomenon of the the Emperors New Clothes is going on in Amity right now. Every one is raving about something that is really not there, namely "food on a Friday night". Do those skinny restaurateurs not know that the folks in Amity food that they can recognize and larger portions. My salad that came on my plate consisted of 5 very small pieces of lettuce, 3 or which were radicchio. Yes, those are bitter leaves. So that left me with 2 leaves on my plate that were edible to my taste. I think they have great potential. But someone should tell the emperor that he has no clothes."


Well, I must say, you did tell the emperor he was a scantily clad as his pizza.
I will say that judging from the local comments I have heard, Amity is desperate for a NICE place where you can get a quick salad and sandwich or perhaps a bowl of soup. The menu could be eccentric but should have "safe" items. The portions don't need to be huge, but not gourmet sized (small). And they should make really good chocolate cake. (I just threw that in)
I think it needs to be upscale enough to kind of deter the rabble (such as I). Cause if the nice ladies in town really wanted to eat lunch with their husbands they would go to the Deli, and all the tables are full already.

8 comments:

  1. Gingerbread would be a nice touch. It's hard to find made well anymore. It's either too hard or to soft, or not gingery enough. I like ginger and vanilla in my pancakes. I'm not sure about adding it to potato pizza. I'm not sure about potato pizza for that matter. Doesn't anybody use iceberg lettuce anymore? OK, so it has no food value. It makes salad the way salad should be. Salad shouldn't have those good for you bitter greens.
    Gourmet portions are small because gourmet food often arrives with 1/2 a stick of butter concealed in each portion. It would be a mistake to eat the whole portion, as it is impolite to puke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budde, it sounds like Amity needs a Tim Hortons, or maybe Robins? Good soup and coffee as I recall although its been a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey budd, ever think of opening a restaurant so you have something to do with all your "spare" time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Muddy Valley, Yes on the gingerbread, Iceberg lettuce is considered lowbrow. However the was once a "gourmet" Mexican restaurant in McMinnville that offered a salad made from weeds. It was very good. Pigweed makes a very good salad although it is no longer in season. I asked a winemaker I'm friends with and he said this is how the natural folks like their salads.
    Thank you for the expose on Gourmet food. I knew there was a reason it was edible. Butter!

    Ralph, Tim Hortons or Robins are the bad guys! No! No! Not local and sustainable. I would like to see a Sambo's go in...I like pancakes.

    Gorges, no... but I've got a good theory on how to make one work.
    1. Reasonably good food/decent sized portions
    2. Happy perky and competent waitresses
    3. Less Grease, as in drain the hamburgers before you put them on the bun.
    4. Simple menu
    5. Never run out of food!
    I'm not sure if they type of food even matters. Just have a good salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess your right, they are part of the big chains like Mcdonalds etc. Robins did at one time have an agricultural link here. Our own Sask. Wheat Pool had some involvement with Robins before the Wheat Pool was bought and sold and eventually dissappeared under the sheltering winds of the huge international company known now as Viterra. SWP will soon only be a memory in the minds of old farmers.

    In other news,, theres actually a restaurant chain named "Sambos". I need to get out more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember Sambos. I must be getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For a momment I thought of growing organic iceberg lettuce the I realized the people who buy organic wouldn't eat iceberg lettuce and the people who do eat it won't buy organic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was actually called Little Black Sambo's after the book. I kind of missed the offensive racial overtones as a child and thought that pancakes and maple syrup came from Africa. I imagine Mr. G706 reinforced that belief.
    SPeaking of which...G706 pretty much summed up the whole organic and inorganic food conflict in a "nutshell"

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!