The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, January 31, 2011

I read a book...

I don't read as much as I once did. I have a problem with reading. I have to finish the book once I start it. So, I tend to read short stories. But, my Father-in-Law sent me a whole bag full of spy novels, detective stories, and WWII thrillers and I couldn't resist.
Sunday I started reading the "Jackdaws," by Ken Follett. It is a WWII thriller about ladies who blow up a Nazi telephone exchange which saves lives on D-day. It certainly reflects 21st century ideals. One of the first pages notes that the Nazi's got along very well with France's "conservative mayors" in small towns. Talking down to us much?
Then there is the 21st century subplot of oppressed Gay people. Which allows Ken Follett to slip in some lesbian kissing and a cross dresser for extra spice. We also have a love scene where we get some special attention for the woman, not quite as detailed as "Key to Rebecca." At least we all know Ken Follett loves to please...
I wonder just what my FIL thought reading some of the love scenes tacked into these stories. Sometimes I feel somewhat embarrassed.
But, i digress.
I read the whole 485 pages in a day.
And I still helped my daughter put together (we didn't finish) her Lego set number 3182, City Airport, that we got at Goodwill. We thought it was $13 but it turned out to be $31 as someone was reading the box upside down. I picked up a Nerf Vulcan Machine gun for what I thought was $6 but turned out to be $9 and it doesn't work. We can take it back.
Goodwill prices are way too high. I would have put the airport back but I couldn't stand to see the sad face on my daughter and I felt like a dislexic maroon. I suppose the GoodWill people should understand. Just the same....
I find the current world situation very depressing after reading WWII literature. The worst and most undeserving people in the world have all the money and the political momentum.
I read this morning that the museums in Egypt are being looted. I wonder if they will blow up King Tut like they did Buddha?
Our leaders are just like the pre WWII leaders and there is no Churchill. Heck, there ain't even a Harry Truman. We wouldn't even get a Berlin Airlift today, unless they agreed to prevent farmers from saving their seeds and insured that teenagers didn't illegally download U-2.
Now I'm to go plant 12 acre fields 15 miles apart, in what is sure to be a swamp, with a 2wd tractor, cause I'm broke and have to do whatever brings in the cash... @#$%^&*(

5 comments:

  1. I'm impressed and a little envious of your reading speed Budde. I've been working on reading an excellent book by Nathaniel Philbrick for at least 2 weeks and still barely half through it. My attention span is not what it used to be. Plus watching tv. surfing the internet, and occasionally working seem to cut into what used to be my reading time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 12 acre fields 15 miles apart seems
    problematic. What ya planting?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If it weren't fer bad luck, I'd have no luck at all,..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I thought I was a fast reader. Seems that with all the other things life throws at me lately, it's hard to commit time to read as much as I'd like, especially the Bible. Everyone always complains about waiting in airports, I rather like it because it is an un-interrupted block of time that I can read and listen to 'tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph, I cheat. I speed read and unless I get a really good book, I tend to skip. I read the beginning and get a good idea of the characters but the minor drama bores me. I get it that at least two of the characters will have a conflict and that they will grow through working out their differences. I figure a couple will get killed off. Sometimes if I really like the girl I'll check out the ending and if I don't find her I just quit reading cause it bugs me when she gets killed off as a plot device. So much of a book is just filler hung on to give it enough bulk to look impressive.
    It takes a pretty good book to get me to read every word.
    And I'm obsessive about it. I start reading I don't hear anything else around me, which drives the family crazy.
    So I tend to read short stories late at night.
    BB, I'm planting wheat for my neighbors. I find it hard to tell the one old fellow no and I think he realizes that. He farms a lot of acres and sometimes a little ten acre job turns into 300 acres, but more often it is just ten acres.
    Gorges, isn't that a song lyric?
    Orin, I hope you win tomorrow. My dad wants to go really bad but I think I'm going to plant. Last year he won a coffee maker.
    I don't read that much anymore. The internet has cut into my reading time. I used to read a lot. I have a lot of books.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!