The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, January 24, 2011

Another rant about what is wrong with the modern world...

I am an unabashed capitalist but...
Big business theory really irritates me. I suppose it is only natural for companies to try and eliminate competition and since this nation has successfully eliminated any rational sort of moral compass I am seldom surprised, but I am often annoyed.
Just do it... Get big or get out... Bootstrap Capitalists who forget the luck that got them to the top or those who helped them as in, it is easy to steal candy from a friendly baby who offers you a bit. It is fine to take a bite but when you don't hand the candy back is where it gets bad. Um, I don't know where I was going with that...
I'm annoyed because I am trying to buy parts for my White. There are no more grimy old salvage yards owned by Zeke or Mike or Earl. Cigar chomping characters who make up prices on the spot. Instead they are owned by big companies who bought out all the little guys when scrap prices were high. All the tractors are on a computer and they are tied in with a national pricing system and all the prices are half of new. This would be ok I suppose if new prices were reasonable. A new hydraulic remote for my White 2-155 is over $800, the levers and linkage adds another $150. So, when I call the salvage yard I'm looking at $500 for one stinking valve that no one will ever buy and it will go for scrap. There may be White three-speeds sinking into the mud but I couldn't afford to buy one. I know the AC 7190 shares many parts and seems to be a much less desirable tractor but it doesn't matter. AGCO parts are still so outrageously high that you can't even afford to pay half price for used.
I don't want a new tractor. I like my old White. It is good enough. I do not want a computer controlled ten year old tractor and I can't afford new.
We just had a long time dairy go out of business. They were bottling their own milk and had a label and shelf space in local supermarkets. Lars even did a segment on the loss of the local business and how it affected the local community. Fifty employees lost their jobs. Some had been there 30 years. (I'm not going to say the name as I may have some details wrong and don't want it picked up in a google search.)
First off the state of Oregon got the blame due to laws and regulations. But, after listening to all the talk it became obvious what happened. They were a medium sized operation. The small organic type bottlers wanted them out because they were direct local competition. The sustainability type folks hated them because they were an old school somewhat messy dairy on wet ground and right near a highway so there were times when it looked and smelled bad. The organic and sustainabilty folks made an unholy alliance with the big bottlers (perhaps a conspiracy of common goals) and got regulations though limiting the size of a dairy that could bottle their own milk.
The targeted dairy of course had to cut their herd size and started losing money. Now they are gone.
There goes another source of competition. Another semi local hay market, another local grain market, another place for local smaller dairies to sell milk. Oh, wait... How many local 100-300 cow dairies are left. One or two out of how many from 20 years back? I suppose that is progress.
The big farmers have screwed local ag as well. They got in a rent bidding war and so what if a couple of them are going, or have gone broke. Rent prices are not going down!
Here's another one that really annoys me.
I've been growing sunflowers for years. I plant them in the outside row on the corn planter so I know when I'm off the row with the corn chopper. We strip till and sometimes the planter doesn't track so well in the strip-tiller rows. Does the nice fellow from seed company that has the word Universal in the name come by and offer me a contract for sunflowers? Why does U........ S.... assume that I will quit growing my recreational sunflower hobby so that my neighbor can make a lot of money off of an exclusive contract?
Why can't I grow canola? Does U........l S..ds pay me not to grow brassica's (sp? I'm in a hurry) so that they can get rich off of specialty seeds? Instead they lobby for a law preventing me from using an important tool for no-till rotations.
And while I'm on a rant let me explain how they do business. They find a farmer interested in trying some alternative crops. Then they suck up to him and tell him what a good farmer he will be and how he will make lots of money, if he does it right... (there is always the catch) I'm watching it happen to another neighbor right now. They told him they liked working with him because he has enough big equipment that when they need 30 acres planted he can do it in a day. This made him quite proud so he went out and bought another planter and a cultivator and a combine. Strangely enough he didn't make quite as much money as he expected. Of course no one asks the previous guy why he stopped growing specialty crops as of course every farmer knows that God has chosen him and given him special abilities that make him the very best farmer ever and it is his manifest destiny to farm 4,000 acres. Amen...
Of course when my neighbor's ground is contaminated with all sorts of strange radish seeds and he is no longer useful, the nice folks at Universal will move on to the next sucker, and there will always be another...
Anyway, I suppose I should be used to being a wage slave.
(rest of the post deleted because of offensive content)

7 comments:

  1. u's sounds like a man ranting with no mind to make yur own decishuns. but u shud no better thin that. we's ignorant and stupid, haven't u herd ? thos big peeple no better thin us'ens and we need to lissen to them so thay can tak good care of us'ens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as you don't run out of food, Budd, you should be good to go. Just remember to grow a ponytail and wear short pants. (Oh, and remember to raise your pinky when you tip the jar!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can't you grow canola there Budde? The anti GM people running the show?
    I miss those old tractor wreckers too. Wandering down the rows of partial wrecks of rusty combines and tractors to unbolt a piece, carry it back to the owner and come up with a mutually acceptable price, those were good times.
    If your're looking for cheap horsepower Budde, its a Minnie!
    2 hours from me.
    http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/A4T-1600-4-Wheel-Drive-Tractor_13961932

    ReplyDelete
  4. Griper, I guess I better learn my place huh?
    Gorge, your comment is appreciated but I just deleted the last paragraphs. I think I'd make more money with a ponytail and short pants... I wonder if you need to raise your pinky when you take a toke?
    Ralph, it is just one of those days. You know a fellow wants to trade us a green one of those. I would like to have one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph, the Radish growers think the canola will cross pollinate their specialty crops and have instituted a ban in our area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drank that milk and was very sad to see it go. I try to feed my family a fair mix of organic and local, depending on quality and sourcing etc. But sometimes I hate the organic folks more than the large industrial operations. I understand the profit above all else mentality, don't believe in it but I get it. The standards and cost for organic certification are not always an option for small farms dairies, etc. There are plenty of non-organic options that are not creepy industrial chemical outlets. It makes me mad that these folks don't get a fare shake and that the organic folks don't see the are making a deal with the devil by pushing out the small scale non-organic competition! I you can't beat them join them is a cop out.
    ~Fred

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fred, There is a chance I have my conspiracy theory wrong. I'm not saying the organic folks and the mega-creamery folks got together over a pint at the Blue Goat. I'm saying their interests were the same this time and perhaps they co-operated a bit more this time. In fact I don't know who "they" are. I'm just saying what I think.
    I would have like to have heard Lars but I'm sure he missed some really obvious points as usual, like the point I just made.
    Also, I have been by that dairy when it stunk. I remember 20 years ago seeing a big old dead cow laying next to the road waiting for the knackers truck to haul it away.
    I think people wanted it gone as it no longer fits in with the modern view of Oregon.
    I liked the old view...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!