The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, June 2, 2012

I am stalked by a duck and I listen to the radio which leads to many comments which most people will not agree with...

I have spent the last week in a tractor. I suppose this is a good thing.
I have been listening to the radio. This is not that good. I didn't realize the end of the world was at hand.
I have been listening to "Ground Zero," and discovered we being bombarded by radiation and there has been a wave of cannibalism, starting in Florida and moving up the Eastern Seaboard.
I learned about rational thought and that animals are especially sensitive to smells.
Sometimes I listen to podcasts from Howstuff Works.
I listened to a NPR special on the town of Roseburg which used to be called the "Timber Capital of the World."
I actually laughed out loud when the folks in the town meeting stated the town was "red hot" because of its wonderful art and theater programs, a vibrant farmer's market, and it's new found status as a wine capital.
There was only one fellow that I heard that made sense. He spoke about the cycles in the timber industry and in a very nice way did stress that the resource based industry did bring a lot of revenue into the local economy.
I laughed because I have watched the wine "industry" infiltrate Yamhill country. It is all based on nothing. Emotions, perceptions, speculations, purple paint, and arseholes in short pants and sandals.
Wineries are mostly owned by rich people who are "not from around here," and who don't really need to make a profit.
The winery business is like tourism. There are minimum wage jobs created, there is extra traffic, there are opportunities for people with specialty businesses that cater to their specific needs but it does not provide the cash flow that the high paying timber jobs provided.
The idea of a vibrant farmer's market supporting a town is also a joke. Farmer's markets exist because of a failure in the modern food distribution system. They are there only because food in the supermarkets is so bad and because of superstitions about GMO food.
Its not that I don't like farmer's markets. In fact I think this new-found concern for quality food to be a great idea. I just can't see the income generated by a farmer's market to sustain a whole town. It takes a lot of higher mark-ups to equal smaller profit and more volume of a commercial farm. And all it takes is a new interpretation of one law to shut down a farmer's market. Just a little more regulation that is bound to be here.
Which brings me to the other thing that I am amazed by. The shear volume of new rules and regulations. There is no wonder the economy is in the tank. It is weighted down by the shear volume of bureaucracy and regulation.
However, all this information has bettered my understanding of life.
I have noticed that a duck has been following me. I can hear him quack but when I turn abound there is no duck. I have noticed that the duck has very bad breath as I can often smell it after he quacks.
I thought I was being stalked by an evil avian for no apparent reason. I considered violence but settled for indifference..
However, now that I was able to use all the knowledge I've gained this week to analyze the situation I have a new understand and realize it is all part of a rational universe.
After hearing a podcast on rational thought I analyzed my activities.
Monday I had a bowl of beans and then I went to the dairy to check on the grass we are going to chop for silage. I did notice that the manure lagoon did smell quite badly that day and I saw ducks.
Shortly thereafter I heard the phantom duck quack behind me.
My hypothesis is that ducks are sensitive to the smell of beans. Thus the phantom mud duck sensed that I had consumed beans earlier in the day and followed me home from the dairy.
Since his breath does smell like the dairy lagoon I suspect that he has spent much time in the manure lagoon and thus comes from the dairy.
I think he is not really stalking me but rather has possibly imprinted on me but it quite shy or he could be an alien.
I do not know how he gets into the tractor cab with me but his loud quacks are startling at times.

12 comments:

  1. Good writing.

    Another thought on farmers' markets: I bet they don't pay any taxes on the business being done.

    If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, can it pull my finger?

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But the wine industry allows us to do something with those worthless forest covered hills around the valley!
    I will make a point of not visiting until the duck leaves for the north.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, pretty funny! The short pants folks love furry animals and wine and the wine displaces the furry animals by fencing off all the hill ground. Of course you can't grow trees and log the hillsides. Whatever...

      Delete
  3. Can a tequila substitute be made from the juice of Canadian thistles? The fellows in short pants won't be coming down the narrow, twisting path when you open your tasting room at the Johnny
    Hopper distillery. Plus, you'll sell a lot of product
    To interesting old retired farmers who think it has something to do with Johnnypopprs which JD hasn't made since about 1959.

    Spirit protector duck keep away cannibal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there is an idea you could market! I doubt there would be a real demand for aphids in the bottom of the bottle however.

      Delete
  4. If you want to make your own contribution to winedom, go to every wine-tasting party around and take your duck with you. Be sure and hug all the guests and ask them repeatedly if they've seen your duck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I once got kicked out of a meeting due to a duck (not my proudest moment). We were all sat discussing the need to be able to work longer hours without loud making noise on a tower block we were building. One of the head guys piped up (he was a dick) "its not the noise thats the issue, its the echo thats the problem, if we could get rid of that we'd be OK."
    The room of thirty went quiet and I decided to make his silly comment even sillier "its simple - get a duck to do the work." Greated by more silence I added "A duck doesn't echo" I didn't stay too long at that job...
    I think your blog is currently my favorite at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was funny. Some folks just can't take a joke!

      Delete
  6. I don't know if canadian thistles can be used for wine making but I am passing up a golden opportunity of wine making . My yard is about half covered with dandelions and I know they make good wine. Were there but world enough and time, I'd turn those rascals into wine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can make booze out of anything that you can get to rot...

      Delete
  7. After reading this post this morning, the migraine headache that's been bugging me the last couple days all but disappeared. Trouble is, now my sides hurt! I think we can thank your duck for that (but if you come visit please leave him in the North Valley).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I should just take the if you can't beat them join them approach and join Ducks Unlimited. Now there is a bunch of a--holes!

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!