The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Where did the Real America go?

I listened to the radio again. This is bad- as it gets me annoyed and I talk to myself. Our formerly great nation is just becoming more and more pathetic. Of course I am listening to NPR. They were talking about the TSA.
In 1984 my brother and I flew into Frankfurt Germany on a backpacking trip through Europe. This was just after an Islamic bombing of a nightclub and security was tight. There was a serious looking soldier with a submachine gun by the metal detector and a couple screeners doing a very quick and effective job of searching every bag. I keep comparing that image to the morons I see at the TSA. Take your shoes off? What a joke! The shoe bomb didn't work and it is a little too late to be worried about it now. The guy made it on the plane already! So, now they are looking for a wiener bomb-too late, they already tried that and IT DIDN'T WORK!
What got me going was (as you may have noticed) The TSA (See what Frank James has to say) and their scanners were discussed on NPR. (Click Here) Our invasive screening procedures are even annoying the Brits. (Click Here)
So you have a choice between an invasive pat down and dangerous radiation, plus a rent-a-cop looking at you naked.
In the mean time has the TSA actually stopped any real terrorists? Oh, I've seen the photos of piles of pocket knives and buckets of shampoo. And I've heard the story of them taking away someone's brick. But those are not weapons. (I don't know why someone took a brick on the plane but I really don't see why you couldn't. What are you going to do with it? Tie a threatening note on it and throw it at the cockpit door?) Now if a middle eastern guy in a coyote tried to take an anvil or a piano on the plane I would be worried. Of course you know the TSA would let him through.
I think the whole taking off your shoes and invasive searches are pointless and part of a plan to 1. Make people think the government is doing something (which it isn't) 2. Make the rent-a-cops feel important, 3. Give an image of power, 4. Some stupid phychological warfare scheme by the US Government-make us get used to submission. 5. Really looking for people smuggling drugs or money. 6. Making the former head of the TSA or Homeland Security (another agency to disband) a lot of money from their ownership of the naked body scanner company.
There is no way you can strap enough explosives to your wiener to blow up a plane-and not be so obvious your fellow passengers will notice. Even if  you are from a race reportedly to be exceptionally well blessed in that department. As we saw with the "underpants" bomber.
Of course that is probably the key to security on an airline. If you try to light the fuse sticking out of your coo-coo your fellow passengers will wrestle you to the ground and beat the crap out of you. (really!)
For further reading try, Conditioning Americans to Accept the Unacceptable from The Classic Liberal. There are several other interesting articles on the sight also. Try this commentary, "Probable Cause is You Bought A ticket."
Or Frankwjamesblogspot- TSA Behind the Power Curve
Remember if you are flying on Thanksgiving support National Opt Out day. Make them search you by hand! 
Of course in the old days when America was a real country no one wanted to blow us up! I can remember when pulling out a blue passport got you though security in a hurry and made you friends on a train, even if you couldn't understand a word they were saying.
And now I'm going to work...

7 comments:

  1. Your right Budde, the powers that be have to at least appear to be doing something about the problem to keep most of the people happy. Just how effective the whole process can be is debatable. I'm just glad I don't have to fly anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't see one word I'd change; right on! Maybe the guy who refused to be x-rayed and fondled is the Rosa Parks of the NEW civil rights movement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you fly ear a kilt and go commando like a real Scotsman!
    http://www.leftcoastrebel.com/2010/11/tsa-protest-men-wear-kilt-without.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. MuddyValleyTractorTrapperNovember 16, 2010 at 8:15 PM

    The problem is, that the TSA/Homeland Security doesn't give a d&^n that what they are doing is wrong, offensive and slows the process of boarding and commerce in general. A boycott on flying just costs people jobs and puts the airlines in more trouble. The terrorists are winning every time our governmental idiots panic and impose new restrictions on our travel and civil liberties. The place to protest is not at the airlines (they have no choice in the matter and it is costing them billions), but with the folks that impose these irrational rules. On that note,I like the commando kilt idea, except that as the indignant TSA workers quit, their positions will be filled by an even more perverted type.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps everyone should dress as an Islamic woman so as not to get searched at all.

    I think a protest and or a boycott on flying would in fact do a lot of good. You know there is money involved in this. If the airlines know that they will lose money then they will apply the pressure. I would bet that if you could get enough people to do a one day boycott of flying you would get results.
    Also, if you choose not to fly you should let the airline you were going to use, why you are not flying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Freedom of movement is one of the things that has built this country. We can pick up and go without asking permission, or at least we used to be able to do so. The terrorists are winning without doing anything because they have us changing our behavior and our "I'm-from-the-government-and-I'm-here-to-help-you" friends feel the need to protect us.

    I get to fly in a few days. I am not looking forward to it nor am I going to stay at home.

    The guy punching "offensive" probably thinks you are a football blog.

    Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pumice, thanks for the comment. I like your proverbs blog. So perhaps I should have a defensive check box for the home team? Or perhaps a punt check box.
    You made a good point about restricting our freedom of travel. I have wondered about that.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!