The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I'm selling my collections

My treasured set of American Plastic Bricks are on ebay and are now at $10. I bought them a few years ago at an estate sale. The fellow who owned them was quite an interesting person. He had old cars and old fishing lures and he drove the funny little jeep and read the meters from the local water district.
His uncle died a few years earlier and the neighbor say that he went into the fellow's house and got the title for the man's 1965 Pontiac GTO. The old farmer had bought it new in case he ever wanted to go Girlin'. That urge never really came, or perhaps the car was not effective and he died a bachelor.
The story was that the nephew brought the GTO home and listed it on ebay and it brought much less than expected. Perhaps $10,000 instead of $20,000. Not that it really matter much as in a few short years the man was dead himself.
So, I bought his collection of bricks. It looks as though someone built houses and exploded them with firecrackers. That is what happened to my Lincoln Logs. My Log cabin actually caught on fire and plastic Marx (highly collectable) cowboys and generic branded spacemen were serious maimed in the ensuing conflagration.

I may sell my Marx Happy Time and Lazy Days tin barns as well. I have a lot of stuff and it is too fragile to play with.

3 comments:

  1. I've met some folks who are selling off their guns for whatever they can get before Obama demands that we surrender them. Others, of course, are going around buying up all the guns they can before Obama demands that we surrender them. Guess everyone has a different view about the value and the proper time to dispose of collections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice toys Budde. I'm sure they're hard to part with. I had a set of blocks just like that and think I might have them squirrelled away somewhere. The barn looks familiar too although mine was played with a little too enthusiastically and is now only a fond memory. Good luck on ebay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorges, I just have too much stuff. While Marx tin barns and American Bricks are really cool I think they have no real value other than sentiment. Plus I need money for Christmas and don't tell anyone but... I want to buy a Thorens 145 turn table or an iBook that doesn't have a busted screen hinge. There is also that crashing economy thing you have mentioned in your blog.
    Ralph, This is all garage sale stuff. My barn was tossed when we moved to the farm. I just am too much of a packrat.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!