The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

It is going to be a beautiful day and I have to go to school

I hate the safety training meetings. I sit though hours of training and add up in my head the fines if we get inspected again, and I start to sob quietly. We are old school farmers with piles of junk everywhere and despite my effort to install PTO shields on every tractor, the ones that I delegated to be installed are sitting on the floor under the bench and my helper is sitting home on his couch.
Oh well...
Yesterday I helped MuddyValley move a safe.
It was a major tactical error, but he made me feel guilty/empathetic by giving me valuable stereo equipment. Well, valuable to a very small niche market that collects vintage tube equipment.
 (yes I need a new phone camera)
Muddy grew up in the big city in a house that matches my every imagined picture of what his father would own. Dark wood floors, a dim study, with indirect lighting, real oak paneling, leather chairs, shelves full of tomes on psychiatry, secret panels, and one of those couches straight out of Mad Magazine.
I felt like Holden Califield, (or rather, Alfred E. Neuman) just walking through the door. And then, to top it all, I found, in a dark dim corner, (next to the National Geographic from 1952) four tattered books, in German, very old, and it appeared to be the collected works, or an in-depth commentary, on Goethe.You have the science, the learning, the journals of psychiatry, but in the dark corner you have Faust arguing with the devil. If only I were a writer I could make something out of that!
I think MuddyValley was a bit amused at my wonderment.
But, I am a Philistine and I don't care.
The safe was a bugger! (not to be too offensive)
We had to use jacks and pulleys and levers and blocks and I kept thinking about that Harbor Freight cherry picker with rubber wheels setting home in the shop.
Anyway, all is well that ends well and now I have to go to the Loo to school.
Have a nice day...

8 comments:

  1. Wwhy I wanted to keep a damaged 150(at least)year old safe, that had never been locked in my lifetime (the combination was taped to the door, I will never know. I suppose it was the challenge of moving something made un-steal able by the fact that so small a box was built so heavy. Every 30 minutes my estimation of it's weight grew, starting at 3 hundred and tripling by the time we winched it into the truck.
    Thanks, Budde!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice International truck in the picture too. Sounds like a lot of the stuff that I save just because..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool story. I still find it a bit odd and a lot funny that one of the major demographics for Lazy Farmer followers is to be an IH pickup owner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgot to ask....Muddy, what year is yours? That grille is what, 73-75?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most memorable ride I had in an IH pickup, as a kid I was helping an old farmer bale hay and he took a shortcut across a waterway in his '47 three quarter ton, hit a spike tooth harrow at fifteen mph. When we came down one of the harrow levers shish kebabed the oil pan.

    I've always been partial to pre '50 designs, before things went first bulbous and then square.

    Hope you found a ground level home for the safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a 72, 4x4, overdrive, and has a dealer installed twin cylinder dump bed. The dump has it's draw backs as they had to trim the back of the frame off so it would dump, meaning the tow hitch is attached to the bed. I can't tow anything very heavy. give & take!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude,

    "If only I were a writer I could make something out of that!"

    You ARE a writer!! Witness the previous post to this one... You should get paid for this stuff! I'm sending you five bucks.

    A Nony in Reno

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Nony, You said "Dude!" But, thanks for the compliment. Someone sent me ten bucks just the other day but going to school with a bunch of real farmers and hearing how the gubment was going to extort me has thrown me into depression and i have not checked anything until ten minutes ago.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!