The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, February 10, 2024

I go for a drive and wonder what happened to the rye I planted in November

 Click here for the real The Lazy Farmer....

Yesterday the inability to do anything got to me. I took a ride in the Gator. I threw the crutches in the back and I have a cane in the rifle rack behind my head. My worst fear was getting stuck but my hip hurts if I go fast so I meandered along at a sedate pace befitting my advanced age.

OK... I am a fraud, the cigar is not lit. I am channeling Uncle Milt and Harpo in my old age. The cigar was a gift when I exited the Uni and I did appreciate the gesture. I made some great friends in the past few years. (although I am sarcastic and inappropriate and supposedly all my coworkers think I am racist, sexist, and a notorious gaslighter. (I guess I should take Beano for that))


My no-tilled Rye has been disappearing. I thought it might be Ralph Goff's pet geese so I went prepared to scare them back to Canada but they seem to have already left. I see bites out of the rye so I could drop $50 an acre on slug bait or disk it up and replant.  
The green in the distance is the oat field. A month ago you could see rows of rye. According to the cover crop propaganda rye will flourish planted late into cold wet soil. It is not.

It looks like it will be a wild carrot or dog fennel field if something is not done.

Can you find a single rye plant in this view?


The no-tilled oats are recovering from the freeze and from going under water a couple times. They were planted several weeks earlier than the Rye. They look pretty good. Except right next to the road. 

I think the oats will recover. They are still a little yellow but there are good rows. Population should have been higher. I planted 110lbs per acre. I think I need to no-till everything at 120-150lbs. It just does better.


There are a lot of opportunities to make extra income to subsidize our failed dirt farming but they all take capital. It is amazing that people can drop $80,000 on a pickup truck that never will haul anything useful but yet I don't have $70,000 for a better stacker, or $24,000 for a White 2-110 FWA so I can save a little on diesel pulling the mower, or another $120 an acre for lime...

Maybe I should just find a real job...



4 comments:

  1. The cane looks just like a Ruger Ranch Rifle. My cane looks like a NM M1A. Getting out and about is good..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walked too much Saturday. Took me a day to recover. Need to get off my butt and do something today.

      Delete
  2. Our geese can be a plague on crops when they are growing. Fall rye is a pretty tough crop but I'm not seeing much of it in the pictures. I shouldn't trust my memory but it seems to me I plant about 100 pounds oats per acre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have saved 200lbs so I could replant one little section of rye. I think I am going to disk the rye and plant spring oats when the weather agrees.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!