The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Week Three of breakage

Today I walked 100 feet. Tomorrow I intend to walk 100 more.

I am supposed to sign up for therapy but it my insurance is a HMO and who knows what sort of therapy I would actually end up with. I probably need psychological therapy but since I didn't hit my head they said no. Instead I need physical therapy and it just sounds annoying. Maybe I will call tomorrow...

I did find a booklet of exercises for people who have broken their hip and it comes from the National Health Service with I figure is the "mother of all HMO's."

I have been referring to this booklet (click for link). I like the reference, "lift your bum off the bed..." I sort of imagine a naughty British nurse as my therapist.

This is what I remember as my stint in the hospital. (I was on a lot of medications...)

Most likely actually footage from Sunnyside Hospital during my stay!

The exercises are pretty simple. I lay on my back and while keeping my good leg flat on the bed, I lift my bad leg up as far as I can, keeping it straight, and not lifting my back or whimpering in pain. This is to be repeated 10-15 times. Then I rest and have a bit of a cry, and then I do two more sets. 

It is for the best as I am home alone, although my whimpering greatly distresses the dog and now she will not come out of my wife's closet. There may be a deeper problem with the dog as she is adopted. She is also greatly afraid of my crutches. Perhaps Goldie needs the therapist, Perhaps the therapist could teach her to fetch. That is an excellent skill for a dog. Makes them more relevant, separates them from cats.

The next exercise is to stand facing the a wall. Put my hands out against the wall, and raise my offending leg backwards as far as I can, hold it ten seconds and repeat the exercise ten times. This does not hurt as bad so I assume it is useless.

There is also the exercise where I lift my "bum" off the bed but I always get distracted by the concept of attractive British nurses from the 1970's. 

Coincidentally I am also going blind.

Darn that ice!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are making a little progress. We have gone from bad to worse as the temp has cooled off re-freezing all the ice. Then a skiff of new snow has covered it up so it is hard to know if I am on ice, frozen ground, or snow. Until my foot slips. Nearly wrecked one of my quonset doors trying to pry it out of the ice yesterday. Should have just left it open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we are having warmer weather here. Looked at a couple fields for spring planting. I think I can run the tractor clutch with my cane. Of course it is going to start raining again precisely at the point where I could actually start planting. We could get freezing weather again also.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!