The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, October 15, 2011

The week when most things went wrong

I planted today my neighbor. I did 28 acres of wheat after 5 p.m. It took me a little longer as i had to load the drill and fertilizer by myself. Meaning I had to use his forklift and find the fertilizer.
We are almost done with our silage. Last night I discovered a hole in the spout liner on the silage chopper. It seemed like a simple fix but took two hours. I did discover how an adjustable spout on a New Holland silage chopper works. It is really quite handy once you get all the bolts broken loose.
Today I started chopping. My brother had the endgate break out of the silage truck last night. I discovered a massive leak on the hydraulic suction line on the White 2-135 which required new o-rings. I finished one field and opened the next and turned the chopping over to my brother. My planting customer was a bit anxious. When I left I got off and checked the chopper header. A gathering chain had come off the sprocket and the adjuster was badly bent. I left anyway.
I got the drill going but that was not without some problems. The automatic rate controller that powers a motorized flow controller that regulates the flow to the centrifugal pump that pumps the fertilizer kept sticking wide open which directed too much hydraulic pressure to the pump which tripped a shut-off valve. Then the magnet switch that tells everything to go to the hold position and stops the acre counters failed.
Then i noticed smoke pouring out of the foam generator. The foam generator makes a line of foam on the ground that shows where your last pass was. (The dirt was all damp and I couldn't see where I had been.) It is sort of strange to see smoke pouring out of something that pumps water and soap.
It has been sort of a bad week.
I've been listening to the talk on the radio about the occupy protesters. The conservatives are all jumping into defend big business which is funny. They give these arguments which would make perfect sense if the big companies did not have monopolies of most industries. How do you vote with your pocket book when there is no alternative? Sure I look at the tags and buy "made in Mexico" before I buy "made in China," but does Wallmart care. What am I going to do? Go to WHAT local hardware store???
It all kind of disturbs me.
Why do the folks in charge like these protesters so much? I saw what happened to the WTO protesters. The Tea Party folks were not well like either but they went out of their way to not cause trouble. The occupy people have a free pass in Portland. There was some violence in NYC but nothing like I expected. Those in charge have crowd control pretty well figured out.
I think this is a setup.
The call for Change. The campaign slogan was "Change." I think it all works together.
I see it as the old Leninist idea that the capitalists will bid against each other to sell the rope that will hang them.
The regulations were not enforced, the banks and wall street took advantage and built a house of cards, the rug was pulled out but the bail out money was offered. They took it. Of course the banks didn't want to make foolish loans again and so they didn't loan money.
And the protesters have it all charted out. The banks and Wall Street are the bad guys, Change is needed.
Of course the banks and Wall Street are bad guys anyway so it all works. But....those of us who work for our living will get caught up in it and suffer.
Change is bad.
I don't see any of the clever folks in the conservative movement getting it. They are to busy getting back at the "dirty hippies" for calling them "Tea Baggers."
Fools, we are all fools...
Have a nice day, evening, night... whatever...

5 comments:

  1. Always interesting to read of your adventures Budde. Makes me realize I have nothing to complain about. This "occupy protest" movement has even spread to Canada today as people gathered like sheep to protest anything and everything that happened to come to mind. I don't know if I am part of the 99 or the one percenters. Probably none of the above.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your bad luck, Budd. I think you've got the OWS thing pretty-well pegged.

    Ralph, I don't know if we're part of the 99% of whatever, but they're definitely part of the 50%? who don't work, since they don't seem to have to be doing anything else. More bread and circuses anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wrong about the banks not loaning money after the bail out. I am pretty sure they are happy to loan it to each other. Of course those who ultimately coughed up the money (the tax payer)) are denied a loan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph, I think the term is "miss-adventures." I don't think we have a percentage. I'm not sure we matter.

    Gorges, "The masses never revolt of their own accord, and they never revolt merely because they are oppressed. Indeed, so long as they are not permitted to have standards of comparison, they never even become aware that they are oppressed."
    — George Orwell (1984)

    Muddy, The banks are true to their nature...

    ReplyDelete
  5. And who's behind it all? Dare I say the lawyers?
    * Bureaucrat's Delight: An update of the official index for
    classifying medical conditions (for research and quality control, and
    for insurance claims) was released recently, to take effect in October
    2013, and replaced the current 18,000 codes with 140,000 much
    more specific ones. A September Wall Street Journal report noted,
    for example, 72 different codes for injuries involving birds,
    depending on the type. "Bitten by turtle" is different from "struck
    by turtle." Different codes cover injuries in "opera houses," on
    squash courts, and exactly where in or around a mobile home an
    injury occurred. "Walked into lamppost, initial encounter" is
    distinct from "walked into lamppost, subsequent encounter." Codes
    cover conditions stemming from encounters with extraterrestrials
    and conditions resulting from "burn due to water-skis on fire."
    "Bizarre personal appearance" has a code, as well as "very low level
    of personal hygiene." [Wall Street Journal, 9-13-2011]

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!