The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, October 2, 2011

I go fishing...

I was home alone today and decided to go fishing. I borrowed my daughter's fishing pole and headed down to the river. I figured out how to get to a couple spots where we saw some fish staring at us as we floated down the river on an inner tube earlier this summer.
So I braved the coyote crap and the black berry vines and nearly fell in the river but at last I arrived at the secret spot. It didn't used to be a secret spot. In fact when I was a kid there was a deep hole with a big old cottonwood tree and a rope in it. But, the tree washed away and the black berries grew up and we put fifty feet into a buffer strip for the NRCS.
I'm not sure if I really want to eat a fish out of that section of the river due to the amount of lead in the gravel. I did find an old propane bottle with a rather large bullet hole in it, so I guess that is part of the legacy.
I threw out a line and got a strike right away.  I didn't get the hook set and lost it. I could see him following the spinner in but that was it. That was about it for another half hour. I tried a couple different spots and I managed to lose a nearly new lure.
I was about to leave but I had an old MEPPS spinner in the bottom of the tackle box and I gave it a toss between a couple logs into what I figured was a pretty deep hole.
I got a hit pretty quick. It was actually a bit of a fight with the bass attempting to dart under logs and under the edge of the bank.
I was thinking about eating him but then I wondered how I would ever get him up the river bank. So I tossed him back.

I tried a different spot a little ways downstream and promptly hooked a stick. In the process of pulling the hook out I broke off the end of my daughter's vintage Shakespeare Wonder Rod. Somehow I feel kind of silly now that I know it is a fly rod.

Oh well, I've been called a Philistine before...

In other news we are watching the movie "Country Strong," which I have heard is a pretty terrible movie. It actually has some pretty good country music in it. The story line is pretty much a throw-away. Guy wants to sing, girl wants to sing, big name country singer making a comeback but has a booze problem. Gweneth Paltrow is the big name singer. She is pretty pathetic, fake accent, and real life annoying image that I just can't shake. We turned if off when it looked like there was going to be a sex scene.  I did like the music, if we could just edit out Gweneth. She should stick with Glee...

3 comments:

  1. Budde, you just made me think of the "Ozark Mountain Daredevils". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe Btfsplk comes to mind! I'm a big Al Capp fan.
    An even bigger Walt Kelly fan. Never watched Glee, but saw friends a couple of times. Not much of a singer that Gweneth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph, I always liked the cover of the car over the lake album.

    Muddy, I find my cloud somewhat comforting

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!