The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another post about small farms

I like the idea of smaller farms. I see Gene Logsden has another post about this somewhat Utopian ideal.
I think small farms create more jobs in the local economy. I think their so-call non efficient scale is good because it recycles money locally.
But...I also believe the law of supply and demand trumps all ideals. There is a reason for big farms other than the forces of evil and the fires of Mordor.
I don't claim to be an expert but I see big farms as just another facet of an economy/government/business/banking tend which is to big rather than small. Big is easier to control and legislate. That is probably the simple answer.
Big deals with labor easier. Having a legal employee is a pain in the arse.  In the future I don't think you will be able to run a small farm without a big family or a lot of cash reserves because of labor and safety and code compliance issues.
High inputs, what are you going to do? Farm with horses? Well, it looks like it... At least you can eat your horse.
Other issues, the corporate farmer doesn't come after you with a gun when you come to foreclose on his farm.
Whatever, I just lost interest in  the whole debate. I've got 20 acres of beautiful alfalfa that most likely will get rained on. We are getting ready to rake single windrows to get the hay up off the ground. We have fluffed the stuff every day this week-early in the morning so the leaves don't shatter. The hay is so close and there was no dew this morning. But, you can still peel back stems on the bottom of the windrows. I checked it at 7:30 this morning and if the sun comes out I might be able to bale this evening. Otherwise, it needs another two days. It is going to rain Saturday.
I rolled some worked ground moderately late last night but I started going to sleep and wandering all over the field with the roller. I really like my 1984 White 2-155 front wheel assist and I don't want to trade it in on a horse. Perhaps if I just went for the scratchy wool underwear and stocking hat and kept the tractor? I think I could look the part of a modern small farmer.
My employee sent me a text to turn to 106.3 on the radio. It was the song that goes something about, "sittin' in a railway station, one toke over the line..." It is stuck in my head. Perhaps that is what got me thinking about small farmers...

5 comments:

  1. My understanding about horses, is that they will eat you up with maintenance. Like the girl blogger's heroin addiction. More so than an old tractor. Lots of horses out there for the asking. Might have to train them. I have a set of harnesses you can have. Leather's kind of old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'm a little apathetic on the topic. "Here" there are big farms that take care of the land, treat the employees well, spend money in the local area, etc, etc, etc....and small farms that bid up ground and leave the landlords hanging for rent, let trash blow out of the pickup and not pick it up, etc......what I'm trying to say (awkwardly) is that there are class acts, mediocre operations , and the dregs (I fit this category) across the size scale.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah...If Wilco stops bringing #2 Off Road, I think I might have to go to Brooks and steal a steam tractor. I've got lots of ash trees and annual ryegrass straw. And I think it would be rad to have a steam whistle! Only question is which brand? Case, Aultman-Taylor or Russell?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like small farms, and not just because I am one. Used to be big but the world changed and I stood still so now I am small compared to the average Sask. farm. Which is best? I don't know. I am just in this for fun anyway. Once I stop enjoying playing in the dirt I guess it will be time to get even smaller, and help the big guys get bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like small farms because I like this concept of more farmers and more local community but I don't really know if is true.
    I think it would be pretty cool to be able to farm profitably with nice small tractors and combines and stuff instead of hugely expensive big stuff that takes forever to pay off.
    I am just tired of going broke for ever...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!