The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, November 22, 2010

I read books

I've been having computer problems. My trusty iBook G4 has developed a reluctance to connect to my wireless network. And it has decided upon an annoying habit of shutting down unexpectedly while unplugged.
This puts a serious crimp in my blogging.
I really hate to be indelicate but my idea breakfast lunch and dinner while farming is Snickers candy bars and black coffee. I break up my routine with fresh tomatoes when in season and hard boiled eggs when the fellow that I sell feed to runs out of cash and pays me with eggs. As a result I tend to spend quite a bit of time in a certain room of the house that is too far to reach with an ethernet cable and in which I am reluctant to hook up a power cord despite the fact that it has a GFI on the outlet.
So I've been reading.
I've been reading two books. The first book I have now lost. I think it was called "Slow Money" and it was about the perils of modern farming and how everything would be better if we went back to the old ways of doing things. The clever folks call that sustainability," I think.
I couldn't find the book with a short google search but I found this link to a blog. It looks kind of like the same thing.
I like the book. I like the idea of farming in a balanced system. The knowledge to farm with few outside inputs and to live the old and simple life is so appealing. But, as an avid reader and one who remembers the tail end of the "old life" I can tell you that it is a whole lot of hard dirty work. To be honest, I'm not sure if I am smart enough for motivated enough to do it.
I've been reading about the new old style farmers (who are a total bunch of hippies) and I'm amazed. They are farming with horses and old equipment and reviving the old ways, but not the old faith. I wish the old faith would be revived, but without the whole prosperity doctrine thing, or the excessive Calvinistic streak, or the whole kill them if they don't convert sort of thing. I guess I could join the Amish but I do really like fiddle music.
But I digress...
The second book I picked up on the fabled anniversary trip to Portland last month. I found in a Portland Goodwill store next to a complete set of Robert Louis Stevenson books which I could not afford.
It is called "Into the Wild," and was written in 1996 by Jon Krakaurer. (apparently it was made into a film-what do you know-I'm out of touch!)
"Into the Wild," is about a fellow who decided to live off the land in Alaska in 1992. It didn't work out so well for him as he discovered the hard way that the seeds of wild potatoes contain an alkaloid toxin which builds up in your system.
The story is fascinating in that the guy just walks into the bush with a .22 rifle and a big bag of rice as his major supplies and he nearly makes it. One small mistake and he is dead. I almost didn't buy the book as I've read "Call of the Wild," and have talked with a few outdoorsmen from Alaska who have stories to tell about the clueless folks who show up from time to time and must be rescued.
I was impressed by this fellow's utter determination to leave civilization and his willingness to wager his life in a gamble that if he would have won would have been the achievement of a lifetime.
As someone who has always wanted to be a nomad but could never turn loose of all his accumulated crap and the history that surrounds each of his odd possessions I am in complete awe of someone who can just walk away...
I don't have "Into the Wild" quite finished and I suppose as my diet improves I'll have less time for reading. I read the last chapter so if I get distracted it will be kind of like reading the whole thing.
(I'm a cheater...)

7 comments:

  1. Might I suggest that setting up a wireless system in your house might increase the quality of your time when immobile? I had my son the geek set it up. Surely you know someone with those skills. Perhaps you could trade him a case of specialty paper.

    And it would be nice if a lot of things came with the old faith.

    Grace and Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you read "Three Against the Wilderness" by Eric Collier? It's the true story of a small Canadian family that set out to homestead in the Canadian wilderness, and in the process, restored a dead watershed and retruned beavers to an area that hadn't seen them in decades. It's one of my favorites, and you see how much physical effort and satisfaction went into their daily lives. "The Silence of the North" by Olive Fredrickson has similar themes of hardship in the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You could join an order of the Amish that permits harmonicas. We have such in these parts and I have had the fortune to be invited into one of their homes where the young ladies of the house played intense, driving blues influenced versions of hymns that would have worn well on any French Quarter street corner.

    Of course even you, Herr Shepard, and I of Volga German heritage would be forever known among them as 'the English'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read "into the wild" I hear the bus he camped in is still there. Another Darwin award winner with too little sense I'm sorry to say.
    I have a plug in "Linksys wireless-G 2.4 GHZ notebook adapter" that I liberated from the dump which might work for you if you can remember how to get to Muddy Valley. It says MAC on the back with a bar code. You are welcome to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pumice, it is the internal wireless card that is the problem. It quits unexpectedly. Then the battery fails. Someday I'll buy a newer laptop. Just not till I save up some dollars.

    Frumpy, I have had "Three against the Wilderness in my bookshelf" for some time but have never read it. I started reading "We Took to The Woods," by Louise Dickinson Rich which is about a family that moved into the remote woods of Maine in the 1940's but never got very far. It is a pretty interesting book but most likely long out of print. Determined people can do amazing things.

    Collieguy, Harmonica Amish it is then. I suppose it may take some effort to talk the ladies of the family into it. Perhaps I'll kind of work into that one slowly. I'll dig out the harmonica and get started.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Muddy Valley, I have actually been working today not just setting in front of the computer. I've been sending out bills. I hate doing that almost as much as I hate paying bills.
    I have mixed feelings about the guy in the bus. He almost made it through shear determination. I go with the alkaloid poisoning theory myself. The guy was an extremely self focused and intense person. He was not well enough prepared and a little too philosophically driven but you know, the people who make it are called pioneers and those who don't are dead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clearly your computer problem are caused by the use of the Apple crap and toss computers you are using. All the problems would likely be cured by driving over the Apples with your largest tractor. Then step up the a real computer such as the World renown Commodore 64, or if you want to go deluxe the the flag ship of the line, the Commode 128.
    As for books, knock off all that reading and go watch TV. All that reading is the cause of your bowel problems.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!