The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, January 26, 2024

Do not eat grapefruit whilst prescribed Oxycodone?

The one risk I never associated with taking Oxycodone was consuming grapefruit. Apparently, it greatly enhances the effects of the drug and can lead to respitory failure and death. I read that on the bottle. The one side effect of Oxy that I find most disturbing is the inability to poop and they pain that comes with those infrequent supposed releifs. I was honesty hoping I could solve the question by just accepting blindness. (per the old saying) However, as they say, "this two shall pass," and it did.
I have done a number of stupid and risky things in my life without injury. My entire feed making misadventure is a high risk operation that borders on on suicidal. I ran an open flatbelt hammer mill, I mix my feed in a surplus fertilizer bin and lift it over the intake of the mixer/grinder, then I crawl on top of the mixer grinder to open the bin. Sometimes I climb a rickty ladder on the side of the bin to unplug it. I'm 20 feet in the air and I am fine. But when I walk from the house to the barn in the freezing rain and I slip and break my hip. To clarify, I fractured the upper end of my femor where it transitions into the ball. My surgeon was not the most optimistic fellow in the world, although he seemed to be quite competent. He informed me that most often in an accident like this, the hip would also be damaged. This is an accident most associated with older people and is considered quite serious. My fracture had not seperated. My hip was not damaged. With the insertion of three wicked looking screws and sitting still for three weeks I should be fine. I have been home almost a week and I am actually getting much better. I am waiting on a trip to Orthropedics to be examined and get an x-ray and then I will be given instructions for therapy and restrictions on walking and driving and leaving the house will be revisited. The current estimation for recovery is up to six months. Apparently the break is hard to see and so difficult to determine it the bone is mending togather. It it doesn't mend then I will be putting all my weight on the pins which will break and I will need a new hip. It doesn't really hurt a lot. I do have muscle pain from my hip to my knee and my knee also hurts. The doctors said I would see a lot of bruising but I have virtually none. I also can't see the point where I hit the ground. I suspect I twisted my hip somehow but I guess it doesn't really matter how, it is done. Sitting around is tough. I have made lists of things to do. I need to work on my year end books but can't really set upright in a chair. I have a couple actual books to read. I started "To A God Unknown," by John Stienbeck but a farmer friend came to visit me today so I didn't read much. My friend's wife baked me cookies which were quite good. I also got a load of firewood today. Keeping the fire going in a chore as it is hard to bend over and lift wood. My wife has been keeping the wood box full but we didn't store up as much wood this year. She ordered a mixed load of ash and oak from a young guy that is cutting wood. He dumped it in the driveway and my friend stacked up a pile before we got rained out. I supervised and tried to help but it is awkward with crutches. We were able to get a tarp on the pile so I have all day tomorrow. Actually I suspect my wife will not allow me to stack wood, even if I can figure out a way to move it. I have had visitors and my brother comes in to help keep the fire going. It certianly reminds you of your mortality when you go from wishing you could be lazy to being forced to sit in a chair all day. Unfortuantly I now have nothing interesting to write about in my blog. It was suggested that my views on certian subjects might not actually be welcomed by a broader audience so I shall refrain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!