The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Ooops, I did it again... Pain followed by boredom...

Freezing rain is absolutely the worst Unless you have a fourwheeler, warm clothes, and a frozen duckpond.
This morning I went to the barn to get the pickup belonging to my lovely and gracious wife and I hit the ground again. Only this time it was solid ice which is of course like hitting concrete.

The light is from the bale press facility up the road. The shine is from ice on the road. This should have been a clue for me, but it was not...

The highway in front of our house was a sheet of ice and so I just sort of skated. That was fine. It was when I hit the frozen driveway and thought I could walk that my feet left the anchorage of Earth and I headed sideways for New Zealand.
Of course I landed on my other knee. At least I didn't break my hip.
I crawled to the chicken fence and pulled myself upright. I found I could not walk. However, using the fence I could shuffle slowly. 
I called my wife who made a path across the yard out of old towels so I had traction and also held me up.
I am happy to say I did not break my hip.
My first thought was "I've fallen and I can't get up," the second was, "oh crap.... I am now officially old," and that statement was not just from remembering the commerical.
So I am back on the couch with heat and ice.
I am looking at the bright side. This is more efficient than just having one knee screwed up. I can make better use of the hot pad and the ice pack. Before I only had one knee to ice and it seemed like a waste of a perfectly good ice pack. Now I can put the ice pack on my left leg and knee till it goes numb while I put the hot pad on my other knee. Then I just rotate. Great plan until the ice pack gets warm.
My wife brought me home made custard pie, hot tea, and Advil so it is not so bad. Needless to say, she is not going to work this morning.
However, another three days of not moving, then working on tractors in pain is not really appealing to me. I pride myself on being lazy but there is a point where I either need to get up and go to work or I am going to buy a 3D printer on Ebay...

The cat is plotting my demise I am sure

However, my friend who lives in NYC called and I was able to give him questionable advice on testing the heating element in his hot tub. I really hope he calls me back ,and is fine, as the last electrical work I did resulted in a test of the GFI circuit and a minor explosion.


Also, This is really good pie. No, there is none left. Don't even think about showing up just for pie...

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Get well soon. Ice is not nice. I have no guilt about being a lazy farmer lately since it is officially too cold to do much more than basic chores outside without fear of frostbite.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!