The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, February 12, 2011

It was quite the week...

Sunday I took my daughter with me to look at a field that I planted and which has come up to solid weeds. I am not sure that is my fault but I am somewhat surprised. I am trying to get the local field man to look at it. Anyway, the fellow has two Rhinos and a couple giraffes. The Rhino came running up to meet us.
That is one heck of an electric fence. You can see the little controller in the foreground. There was a little tube inside it and every couple seconds you could see a 1 1/2 inch spark inside. I did not touch the fence and neither did the Rhino...



So far I've planted an 80 acre field between showers, traveled 15 miles and replanted a 20, then 3 miles where I planted a 7 and a 14 and then 4 miles back to plant 60 acres and then 15 miles back to where I started from and today I planted 30 acres. The acres don't really add up to a big profit... Except for the tire companies and fuel company.
Here I am planting oats into fescue sod.

By evening I am planting wheat into disked up fescue sod that has been flooded and is so rough I'm down to 4.5 mph.

Then I blew out an oil cooler line and dumped 10 gallons of hydraulic oil. I think it is kind of like fertilizer.

I missed a steak dinner and got to watch a couple glowing screens for the evening.

I have no photos of today. But, it is pretty much the same story. By the time I was rained out today the mud was packed into the duals so that the two tires looked like one. That is going to make a mess on the highway. I think I'll have to take a couple trips around the guy's pasture to clean them out.

Ed Winkle was posting about cynics on NewAgTalk.com but I didn't find anything entertaining. Some farmers are making cartoon YouTube videos which was funny to me. There is a nice photo of a G706 over there that some may find familiar. I've got to start posting on there again as there are just too few of us not-very-good-farmers-with-old-tractors posting on there. It just takes too much time. I like the crowd here better.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I'm still there! Sometimes it feels like that place is sinking in to the cesspool that other internet forums I've watched/participated in have become. Maybe it's me, I might be a bad influence!

    The crowd here is better....and lots funnier. Maybe when I'm in Louisville next week I can post criticism about some local restaurant there and get everyone fired up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that "green grown", biodegradable hydraulic oil there, Budd?

    Maybe you can hook a VCR up to one of those screens and make life more exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least your working ground Budde. Mine is all deep underneath the snow. The only field work I did yesterday was buldoze a trail through the snow to haul the dead bull out away from the yard so the coyotes and magpies will dispose of him.
    I post on NAT once in a while. There is no way to keep up with all the posts there and still do your work. Just too much going on that forum and most of the time it doesn't really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of a tractor my dad used to have for his construction business. It was called a Uni-loader and was competition to the Bob Cat that you see everywhere. It was always busting a hose or something, but it sure beat moving things with a shovel and wheelbarrow.

    Grace and Peace

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just ran across this July 14 searching for a post on wheat subsidies! Now you have me wondering what I said about NAT cynics, LOL

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!