The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We all wear a uniform

My sometimes a great employee and I attended a safety seminar yesterday. I didn't see anyone I knew and so we picked a table on the other side of the room from the door. He takes up two seats and I attempted to look grumpy.
I didn't work. A nice couple sat beside us. I knew immediately what they grew.
The girl looked nice, no real clues, other than the number of vintage rings on her fingers.
The guy was wearing an old leather baseball style hat, a genuine Filson windbreaker, a felt-like wool vest, plaid shirt, (most likely Pendleton), and those old fashioned pull up shoes that look like high top Romeos. I think he had some sort of wool pants or something. I don't think they were jeans. He had a beard and wore those funny black dork glasses from 1960 that everyone's mother made them wear when they were kids.
I resisted the urge to ask how the organic farming business was, or do you have a CSA? Or you get a lot of gigs with your jug band?
They were nice and earnest young people. Seemed to have a sense of humor.
We were given this little RF keypads so that we could vote and answer questions on the presenter's computerized presentation. I was cheating by running two and voting multiple times. They thought that was funny and several anti-establishment jokes were made. We also discussed the evils of Monsanto and round-up resistant crops.
Good times were had by all.

12:00 update:
I feel like crap today. Not really complaining just telling you. My cracked ribs hurt unexpectedly. My back is sore, I didn't sleep very well, it is cold with sleet and snow. .
It is taking a force of will-power to get me out of this chair. I am out of money and neither hay nor feed are selling. I need to install the engine and 3spd in the White but it is so nasty outside I don't want to move.
The funny thing is that I think it is mostly a mental state. I know I can do incredible things when motivated. But, getting yourself motivated is a whole issue unto itself. Continual crop and business, near failures have really affected my self confidence and I don't really trust the decisions I make.
I guess I'll listen to my MP3's of that old Carnegie course that started all the self-help books and motivational speakers.
How in the world do you break the negative cycle?
Perhaps I need to find another job...
I think I pop a few vitamin D pills and just go do it...

4 comments:

  1. I avoid these things by not having insurance. It requires being a hermit & scaring people away, but I no longer have to deal with alcoholic employees that might sue me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay inside. Take a day off. Heal. Even my cows want to come in. Daisy the pound hound feels the same way. The weather can't make up it's mind to snow or rain, and there is more than enough wind and cold. I have made brief forays to bring in wood. That was enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days when you don't feel like getting out of bed, the best thing to do is just pull up the covers.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!