The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

You should never let your kids watch pro wrestling!

I'm icing my back. I know my daughter doesn't watch Portland Wrestling. She can't, we only get four channels of OPB on our digital TV, so I have no idea where she got the idea to do a flying W on her father. But Monday night when we were in the midst of a knock down and drag out tickle fight on the living room floor she did and she cracked two of my ribs. I did not move fast enough. I doubled up in pain while laughing and she burst into tears. I suppose this makes up for me nearly breaking her finger during a light saber fight a few years ago. I heard the rib pop.
So, I lived with the pain for two days and decided I was going to the Chiropractor. Sometimes it works. He popped my back with his little popper gun and stretched me around a bit and I left feeling a lot better. He told me to ice my back and said that 32 degrees outside didn't count. I felt pretty good till I installed new glass in the rear window of my White 2-155. I was able to chip a nearly $200 piece of glass.
Anyway, I'm setting in the old Lazy-Boy my Uncle gave me a decade or so ago and I'm listening to Jimmy Rodgers on my Dual 1019 record player through headphones. I went to GoodWill on my way home from the Chiropractor and found a little Optimus preamp. I was in a hurry and didn't look very close at it. Not close enough to see the "Made in China" writing. I just saw a switch for magnetic and ceramic cartridges and I figured it was one of the old one. It is newer than I thought. I've been looking for the little Realistic preamp for making computer recordings. This one is lacking in frequency response but that was I don't hear the pops and clicks and turntable rumble.
This evening I made a base for my turntable out of scrap wood left over from my shed repair project. I roughed it out with the chainsaw and then did the final fit with a little saber saw. It kind of looks like crap but it only took me 15 minutes. Perhaps I'll post a photo tomorrow. My wife just laughed.
Dadgummit, I've got to get up and turn the record over...

5 comments:

  1. sounds as if you have as much luck working with glass as i do.
    and hope that little fight taught you a valouable lesson in life. it doesn't pay for a man to fight with the female half of the species. its a guaranteed losing effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A guy who works on electronic equipment with a chainsaw - no wonder I like your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you didn't get into a fight with the chainsaw. They break more than ribs.
    Found this. http://www.chainsawcollectors.se/phpbb3/index.php. Maybe yours is a collectible and your suddenly rich.
    Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A chainsaw carpenter, thats pretty good Budde. A true artisan can create great work no matter what kind of tools he uses. And the reverse applies. Give me the finest wood working tools and I could still produce nothing but expensive firewood and sawdust. Good luck with your recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Griper, installing a rear window in a tractor is not the worst job I've ever done but it was a challenge and if I should break it again it is going to the glass shop for repair.
    Gorges, it drives my wife crazy as it is such a local hillbilly thing to do.
    Bobby, I didn't get your link to work, but of course we do have a couple 1960's Homelites out here. I used an almost new Shindawa (sp?) It is a nice saw.
    Ralph "Give me the finest wood working tools and I could still produce nothing but expensive firewood and sawdust," I am in the same category and that is why often make use of the chainsaw. It is going to end up looking crude and not quite square no matter how hard I try. So why not just get it done.
    This plywood and scrap 2x6 thing is getting a pattern made to attempt to make a nice base.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!