The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, February 13, 2022

I listen to records and provide many links to a song you will not care about

The retired fellow who helps at the farm lives for yard sales. He specializes in SK and old Craftsman tools but after seeing my record player rebuilding misadventure he has expanded to vintage county western albums.

Last week he brought me two Linda Ronstadt albums and a George Jones duet album which I forget. George Jones was the best sounding but Linda Ronstadt has her charms.

This is not my favorite Linda Ronstadt album, I prefer this album. But I seem to have misplaced it! Linda is much more perky and there is the whole pig motif.

I had never actually listened to "Prisoner in Disguise," before. It has a great cover of the Jimmy Cliff classic, "Many Rivers to Cross." Although, my favorite version is Desmond Dekker on Stiff Records from 1980.  This is a live version of the song from 1970.

My least favorite version is the heavily produced Harry Nilsson version. For some reason it gets high reviews, probably because it was produced by John Lennon.

Willie Nelson also sings it which just seemed odd. (Roll up a spliff and Click Here.) Willie's smooth vocals just  don't work for me but I like it better than the Nilsson version which was a minor hit. 

My former helper is camping at the river with his four year old daughter. She wanted to drive a forklift. So I obliged. She was quite thrilled. She is in fourth grade and is interested in everything.

I took my fishing pole down but instead of fishing, the grand daughter and I drove the Gator around. Actually she drove.  I manned the emergency brake in case she got too close to the river. She had a lot of fun. 

I miss my daughter.

I am getting ready to start planting. I am a bit surprised no one has called. I put a trailer hitch on the Gator so I can pull my large air compressor. I think I may be overloading the Gator.


3 comments:

  1. I recognize Desmond Decker's name and the "Israelites " song is one I used to like. It sounded better 50 years ago. I've got at least one Linda Ronstadt 8 track, maybe an LP or two. Cassette? Question is do I have a working 8 track player anymore. Old tech. Maybe shes on Spotify?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, lots of things sounded better 50 years ago!!!

      Delete
  2. Nice to create memories for kids. Years from now when burdened with life she can think about 'driving a Gator by the river' with an old farmer.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!