The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, February 19, 2022

My other best friend has passed away.

I say "other" because I of course want the person I am talking to thinking that they are my first best friend. (I read the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People." )

I have been listening to his favorite artist, Jimmy Buffet. He also liked the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Don't have any of those albums.

My friend bought the first Sony Diskman. It was made of metal. I think it may still be hooked to his stereo. Although, I think he modernized a lot when he got remarried twelve years or so ago.

He was the Vocational Mechanics Instructor in a three school magnet program that produced a lot of good mechanics and in the process, taught kids how to think. His program had a higher rate of college graduation than any other program in the district.


I really would like to talk to him today. My college, which I am still incredibly angry with, is asking for input on the strategic plan. My friend would be very helpful. He was an incredible proposal and grant writer.

I have this idea but can't quite think clearly enough to put it together. Plus I am a groundskeeper and get no respect. I need to buy a PhD somewhere. I tried eBay but the one you get there are not the best. I think a degree from Whatsamatta U would be suspect. My PhD in environmental science, focusing on the possible extinction of the Tube-Topped Bar Duck and the elusive Red-Headed Double-Brested Bed Thrasher could raise alarms.

But I digress,

I was talking to the Environmental Sciences professor yesterday. Environmental Sciences major attracts a lot of students interested in what we used to call ecology. The problem with these classes is that there is no practical application of information.

The Uni has a watershed program with a creek through the edge of campus but then they sold about half of it because they were broke. The latest brilliant idea is to have a Camus festival with the local tribe. This is stymied by a large tree that has fallen across the path. (literarily and not figuratively) There is some reason grounds is not cutting the tree up and has to do with bureaucratic interpretation of something.

But, I digress...again...

I know a lot of farmers. I have been involved with lots of conservation farming conversations. I have sequestered tons of Carbon in my lifetime. I have a no-till planting business.

I even have a friend who is supposedly starting a Regenerative Agriculture experimental farm across the river from me.

Regenerative Agriculture is the new buzzword and there is money being thrown at it by the woke.

Secondly, the Uni is fixated on Wine. Wine is old news. It is a "Boomer" thing. What is happening locally is craft spirits and beer. Lots of energy and interest and a lot of it is being done by farmers.

I want to put this all togather.

I would like to figure out how to write a proposal that would get me a better paying job at the Uni first of all and also bring students out to interact with farmers and others who are actually doing the groundbreaking work. There are some super smart farmers that I know of. I know this extremely colorful guy who makes beer, has bees, grows pot, composts with black soldier flies, and makes this stuff work. Plus he is entertaining!

The other aspect of this program would be to attract local students. There are a lot of local alumni who are farmers. I was in Future Farmers' Of America. I think one of the keys to the program would be to reach out to those students. They are highly motivated kids.

This program would be designed to add on to other programs. There is no Farm Business Management course at my University but the new Wine Studies center will also integrate business classes. If this was headed by someone with vision and enthusiasm it could work. 

Of course with that last statement I talked myself out of a job...

Have a happy day!



4 comments:

  1. How sad to lose an old friend. And the older we get the more often it happens. Phd? That stands for privy hole digger, right? I could qualify for that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend knew all the old ways. How to wind a magnito, where to get the seat of your Hudson restiched, the complexities of steam power. Such a lose of information.
      I am not contributing to my University. They don’t deserve me.

      Delete
  2. Friends lost are a lasting hole in one's wholeness.
    Were I you 1) I'd ship the Gator to me 2) Form an LLC with some sort of Regenerative Agriculture name or branding 3) Get the Environmental Sciences PhD to apply for some grants specific to Regenerative Agriculture that allow for hiring outside professional services firms with appropriate expertise to help create/modify a curriculum. 4) Your LLC would have the appropriate strategy guy (former groundskeeper) with the contacts, experience and subcontractors to make that happen 5) unencumbered with an aging Gator you would have the time 6) Then quit (you could bill about $350-500/hour for curriculum development which would more than fund your daughter's tuition...you could stop mowing baseball fields)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good plan. Other than giving up mowing baseball fields and giving up my Gator. I just installed a siren and heavy duty trailer hitch. I also really like mowing the baseball field.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!