The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Tactical Errors in Judgement

There are those who are good managers. I know there are as I have read examples of such in the introductions to many self-help books that I never actually buy.
Here is the latest example.
We have a twenty acre fescue field to plant. Twenty acres is really nothing in comparison to the average size of the typical local fescue field. But it still must be planted.
Many things have happened which interrupted this project.
It needed to be planted before the magic date of September 18th.
This is September 22nd.
We also had one last 100 acres of straw to bale. Then the tyre on the stacker blew out on a bridge on Highway 99W during the Friday afternoon rush to the beach traffic jam.
And I have 200 acres to plant for a neighbor starting Monday.
And 80 acres of corn silage to make starting Wednesday.
And my brother got a week long truck driving job.
And there were various truck of seed to empty and straw to move and so on.
So I decided to send my helper to bale and stack whilst I stayed at the home farm and plowed and worked the 20 acres and dumped the grain trucks repaired the brakes on the truck and what ever it is that I do all day long.
But there was a problem.
The seat on the stacker has lost it's suspension and my helper weighs 350lbs. Actually, the issue of the broken springs in the seat really makes no difference as the springs never would support 350lbs.
Yesterday I had a plan.
We were done stacking and baling and so my helper would move stuff home and clean stuff up and help get ready for silage while I finished what needed to be done with a FWA tractor with duals and then got ready to plant.
So I get the text, "My back hurts today real bad, I'm going to stay down today."
"I'm getting better but still not good, gonna stay home the next couple days and get good again."
But, of course he will.
It is just that time of year.
I suppose I just need to get up earlier in the morning...
I should NEVER have let him run the stacker. (In fact I did not let him run the stacker all summer.)
I should NEVER have let him know I was going to be gone for three days.
But, one two errors in judgement gives an excuse for failure.
What is it like to work at a job other than farming?

7 comments:

  1. Of course his back hurts! Mine would too if I was hauling around a 200lb bale of something 24 hours a day. Perhaps a couple of days of rest, more food, and no strenuous exercise will make it all better.
    Look on the good side, for every pound he gains, you lose a couple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny thing about errors of judgment, they can only be ascertained by 20/20 hindsight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are not supposed to repeat the same mistake twice or five times...

      Delete
  3. Jobs other than farming can be just as frustrating, but they're usually less itchy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also go home at the end of the day and your home is a couple miles from your job.

      Delete
  4. Its still the best job going (speaking for myself anyway). But then I am working by myself ,, for myself. Start and quit when I want, work as slow or fast as I want. (And the seat on my swather is not broken) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the key phrase is "working by myself-for myself."
      Also, your swather seat isn't broken...

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!