The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Insanity in the World and on the internet

I was wandering around the internet last night and came across this article in the Huffington Post.
I was not as amazed by the reaction of the religion of peace as I was by the apologists for racism, sexism, and extremism, who commented after the article.
Are there no more universal standards for behavior?
I realize the collective reasoning ability of the modern world is pretty much at a Star Trek level but...
Lets say you think you are a tolerant person and you believe in a woman's right to choose, woman's right to work, walk around unmolested, right to choose sexual partners,  the rights of homosexuals, free speech, and you are passionate about it-how can you have any empathy for a religion which kills one group of white people over the act of a completely unrelated group of white people.
Especially when that very same cultural group makes women cover themselves in public, won't let them work, drive, have abortions, talk to men, and that group executes homosexuals.
The people in Florida who burned the book of love and peace have no responsibility for the choices made by people on the other side of the world. If you believe that Florida pastors are responsible for the deaths of 10 non-America UN workers then you have to also accept that people who blow up Abortion Clinics are Freedom fighters... I don't and I won't.
Of course that connection is never made but I am right in my argument. It is the same idea.
People carry this empathy for the devil thing way to far. Sort of a cultural suicide in my opinion.
The Florida folks certainly proved their point! Way beyond a shadow of a doubt, and yet the idiots of the world do not get it.

8 comments:

  1. This whole action and reaction is an example of what extremist create in a society. Burning a book is a sign of fear in my opinion. It indicates that the people who condone this type of activity are afraid of different ideas and it is a sign that they believe the different idea is more powerful than their own.

    I cannot condone the response either. The people who were murdered had nothing to do with the act that was committed in Florida.

    Extremism is an ideology that I cannot support on any side. I sincerely believe that it is a mentality that eventually leads to dangerous and careless acts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. msladydeborah, you know I started out really offended by the Florida pastor for various reasons but I've kind of changed my mind. There is huge persecution of Christian people in Islamic countries. I think the pastor is completely justified in making this sort of a statement. It does not agree with my personal views but after reading all the commentary on the Huff Post article I've kind of changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a Christian, I don't really care how many Bibles the Muslims want to burn, AS LONG AS THEY ARE THE OWNERS OF THOSE BIBLES. I would have no desire to retaliate. "Vengance is mine, sayeth the Lord." Now if they tried to burn MINE, I must confess, I might do something unChristian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people just can't resist poking a wasps nest. What did the preacher expect after commiting such an act? Of course they are going to respond with another extreme act. So who wins? I have pretty much lost hope for this human race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Got to side with Ralph on this one. The Pastor knew full well what the result of his act would bring. He is every bit responsible and ignorant as the ignorant Muslims. It's just another religious war and those always have more than one side.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a couple issues here. First is that I have no idea how 21st century people can have empathy with these nutcases but yet make fun and find everything wrong with another religion which is their cultural heritage and has made a clear stand against beheading or burning at the stake and now has women in leadership rolls.
    The second is burning the book. It seems to me that we would expect secular people, such as college students to be burning the book. Churches should be standing against such an act.
    Third, why should not everyone celebrate national burn the book day? Why should you not poke the hornet's nest? If there was a hostage situation and the guy with the gun says, give me $50 or I will shoot this person and I say, "bite me" and the guy pulls the trigger, did I kill the person?
    That is kind of a flawed illustration.
    What about this. You tell me that if I scratch my arse in front of you one more time you will shoot me. I scratch my arse and you shoot me. Who goes to jail?
    (Obviously we both lose on that one, which is more to the point)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My personal opinion is that burning the book of the religion of peace is a bad thing to do. Look at this link for consequences.

    http://www.christiantoday.com/article/pakistani.christians.suffering.after.us.pastors.koran.burning/27762.htm

    I think it would be better to have a week of not buying gas. Some sort of boycott of the mideast. Perhaps we could just take our troops and money home...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are getting close to the point, they both lose. The difference is, the pastor himself didn't lose. The Pastor,thousands of miles away was in little danger compared to the "hostages" he knew he was putting in danger. In my mind (and I doubt I am alone in this) he is as much a fanatic as the adherents of "the book of peace". The pastor won because he got the publicity he wanted w/o a care for the repercussions.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!