The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Progress

I spent most of today in a safety training seminar. There were a couple things that really stuck in my head that had nothing to do with safety. In fact I wonder if the seminar did not have more to do with process that with safety.
I am sure that the people presenting wanted us to be safe. Farming does have a bad safety record and farm accidents, especially when they involve children, are terrible.
True, you do need to develop an attitude of safe behavior on the farm. You can't say it is bad and there are employers who have made unsafe practices a way of making money, but...
I guess it is the whole zero risk concept that comes from insurance policies paying for everything and thus every injury and form of suffering has a monetary value assigned to it.
We now have to have monthly safety meetings and document what we talk about. I have to show the employee how to drive the tractor every year. We have to attend training every year, have an audit every four years, and do something else which I forgot or we are subject to surprise inspections by OSHA and will be fined for violations.
My goodness, what if one morning I forget to wipe my bottom? Will I have to file a report to the government office of personal sanitation and hygiene? If USDA will send SWAT teams to raid Amish farmers for selling raw milk what would happen if I neglect to record an MSDS sheet for that bootleg can of Marvel Mystery Oil lurking in the back corner of the shop?
It was announced at the meeting that there were new guidelines for agricultural truckers after a hay hauler lost part of his load and someone was killed. I heard about that one the day it happened. The guy did not tie his load down correctly, he was going too fast, he did not stop when he lost the load, he then tried to hide the fact that he lost bales, and it looks like he is going to do serious jail time. What new regulations would you add to the 5 major violations the guy already and wantonly violated? Do we need a publication to explain that you should 1. tie your load 2. Not drive too fast 3. Not leave the scene of an accident?
One thing I learned at the community college was that bureaucracy  must always keep expanding and that lesson was once again brought home today.
I guess we just do what we have to do...
In other news my RC helicopter arrived and it is completely awesome. Daughter and I spent the evening taking turns flying it in the living room. It is fun to buzz the cat. The battery does not last long enough.

1 comment:

  1. That's what we get for letting lawyers run the country. They are a powerful group. They only make money if there are lawsuits, and by making more laws they look out for each other. In reality, there are already enough laws that pretty much cover everything. The more laws there are, and the more complex it gets,the longer the court cases last, and the more time the lawyers can charge for at $300.00/hr. They write the laws in such a way as to be understood only by themselves ensuring their own jobs. They make money whether they win or lose. Lawyers: On the plus side, 95% of them would make good fertilizer.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!