The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, February 17, 2011

My obscession with pre 1980 technology

I am issuing an appeal to my gentle readers.
I'm not a wealthy person and I tend to be a collector. I love things like old 16mm film, reel to reels, old amps, turntables, records, old toys, legos, triumph motorcycles, studebaker cars, Minneapolis-Moline tractors and such ilk.
So I frequently do craigslist searches for things like reel-to-reel and thorens and turntable.
A follower of The Lazy Farmer sent me a link to the dual 1019 which led me to this treasure. (click here)
It is a Sony TC-230 reel to reel. It is owned by the person from which I bought the record player It is a medium to good consumer quality reel-to-reel according to the information I have found. But, it comes with two boxes of decent quality tapes, original packaging, and according to the specs a phono input. So, you could run your dual 1019 through the reel-to-reel. Which is what the nice lady's grandfather probably did.
We had a nice conversation about the tape player and I told her I would give her $100 for it. I said I thought it was probably worth around $150. I noted that it was half of what she was asking but I did not want to be disrespectful and try and cut her down on the price. That was my opinion.
Her grandfather sounds like an interesting fellow as he also had a jukebox at one point in time. I should have asked more about him.
So....a couple days later she emails me and offers me the reel-to-reel at $150. I don't know. I'd have done it the day I bought the turntable. I had the cash right then. After getting the turntable home I realized that sitting in a closet for 40 years is not good on old stereo equipment. On the other hand I have a lot of tapes I want to hear. Plus, I have my uncle's life story who was a CO in Germany in WWI and came to America between the wars. Somewhere there is a cassette of it but I can't find it.
On the other hand it is a huge reel-to-reel. On the other hand is the money. I don't really have it to spend. I am putting a chicken feed add on craigslist to raise some cash and I need to put some of my already view 16mm movies on ebay.
My wife says I agonize over $50 purchases and other husbands blow $$$$ on useless stuff and I should do it if I really want it, but you can go to the poorhouse $25 at a time just as easy as $2000 a transaction, it may take longer but you still end up there.
On the other hand, I am getting a lot of entertainment out of the turntable, static and rumble, and low frequency response, all taken into account.
I think I could get my money back out of it at $150, just by starting it and playing a few tapes and then turning around and writing a different ad. Or by putting it on ebay. I think I'd do it for $100, of course I'd have to drive back to Portland...
I don't know...
If only someone would buy my 100 tons of not very high protein horse hay... or that nice lady whose mother just died would pay me the rest of the $2,400 she owes me, or that fellow who is selling eggs for $4.50 a dozen would pay me the $1,200 he owes me, or my employee would pay me back the $2,000 he owes me, or I would just get a real job....
I think I'm going to have to say no...
I'll think about it today-see if I get any calls about chicken feed.
Any comments are welcome!

4 comments:

  1. Budde, I'd be willing to bet that for every one of those machines advertised, theres another one sitting in someone's attic that they would sell cheap (or free) if they remembered that they even still had it. I know I have at least one old record player in the attic that I'd give away. Of course I can't recall if it works either. As a kid I had a reel to reel tape recorder. I have no clue where it is now but pretty sure I no longer have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've regretted money spent many more times than money not spent. Ralph's right. A good machine at the right price is out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got news for you, you can go bankrupt by only spending an extra $5 a day; I've been doing it for years (ever since I got married the second time).

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a particularly nice reel to reel and it sounds like it is complete and it has tapes. I have pretty mixed feelings about it. I sort of feel all this is a waste of time.
    Gorges, I am going bankrupt $5 a day. I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!