The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

I plant and do GPS and complain about Microsoft crap...

I've actually been working.
I planted yesterday and today. Yesterday I replanted a field of common vetch for a neighbor. I no-tilled it last fall and I think we should have gone with a higher seeding rate. There is one good row which continues for three rounds. I had accidently left one seed gate open when i cleaned out my drill and it way over planted until I noticed it. Of course it was on a row that didn't have a monitor on it so the high population alarm didn't go off. That one row looks really good.  You can't really tell that it was planted at 250lbs per acre. The slugs were really bad in this field. Just wiped out the vetch. I think I'm going to charge the guy half price even though it is not really my fault. Seems like a nice thing to do.
Then I planted another 19 acres of oats in two triangular sections so there were lots of sharp turns. I came up with almost 23 acres due to lots of corners and half rows.
Then I moved back close to home and did 20 acres, mostly in the dark. This wheat into fescue sod that was disked in the fall and then flooded by the river. It is rougher than a cob. Much of it was 4.5 mph instead of 6.5 mph.
I made good use of my FarmerGPS program. I had straight rows and I worked on my lights so I was not driving completely by the little arrows. I have to have something visual out in front of me to line up the little glowing tractor on the screen with. It doesn't take much just a hint of a line now and then out in front of the tractor and I can stay one the row. The GPS keeps me pretty close but if I can't see something in front of me I oversteer. I really need to play more SuperMario with my daughter.
Of course it was too slimy to use my mechanical markers and the foamer was broke again as usual.
I even attempted to make a land off the A/B line using only the GPS screen. This was a failure not because of FarmerGPS or my inability to see anything but rather because the windows operating system is crap. Just when I got going good and was following the arrows and keeping the glowing tractor lined up with the A/B line the screen went black.
I have set the power scheme control panel on that computer time after time only to have it revert to the screen going dark after 15 minutes.  Windows does not like to remember user settings. I'm sure a computer expert will disagree with me and I'm glad they know some special way of fixing the problem but I have just given up. I touch the pen to the screen every 15 minutes. It is easier than wading through six counter intuitive screens only to have your settings lost when the tablet locks up unexpectedly. It does that every so often.
I would probably buy a new windows laptop or tablet but I am so annoyed by the OS that i don't want to give Microsoft any of my money.
Yesterday I tried out a GPS map program that I bought to replace Microsoft Streets and Trips which is complicated and doesn't really work on a tablet computer. I bought nRoute which is much simpler and it works. It is an older version I got for $15 on ebay. I was pretty happy with it although there is no point in using it as I got a Tom Tom  GPS for Christmas. I have a road finding GPS as sometimes I get lost finding fields. It is kind of a bummer to wander around back roads with a 15foot wide no-till drill. Hard to find places to turn around.
Anyway, I plugged in the farm address and then didn't follow the directions. It kept replanning my route as I kept trying to avoid Highway 18. It was amusing and not as frustrating as Streets and Trips.
I think it is the corporate structure of Microsoft that make all its product utter crap. I kind of expected to begrudgingly become part of the PC world after getting the GPS program. I figured that I just disliked Microsoft products because I was a Mac user and I'd buy a new PC laptop and use it for internet and the GPS.
I don't think so...
Now if FarmerGPS was ported to the Commodore 64 I would see if I could mount our portable Commode 64 in the tractor cab. Now that would look good setting on the dash!

5 comments:

  1. I am beginning to see why didn't go into farming as a profession. It's not the hard work, I've worked hard most all of my life. It is the need for a farmer to depend , for success or failure, upon so many more factors than himself. The weather, both the plant and the animal kingdom for everything from molds to crop eating bugs and birds, equipment, other people, and so on. Too many variables and chances that something will go wrong that you have little or no control of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But yet you have the illusion of self determination and independence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there are days one might wonder if theres a better way to make a living but I still can't think of any better life for me , even after almost 40 years at it. The freedom, independence, makes me think of that old saying. "If you love your job you will never work a day in your life", or something like that.
    Budde, I know microsoft is not perfect but as its all I have ever known, I have nothing to compare it to.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!