The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sick Day

Feeling a bit under the weather this morning so I'm sleeping in. Think I'll post some photos and then go to work. I'm looking out the window at the weather. It rains, then the wind blow 35 mph and it dries out. Then when I start thinking I can plant it starts raining again. I need to look at a 40 acre oat field whose owners want to put it into pasture. I have a couple fields I think I could plant in the rain. I have also borrowed/rented a John Deere 750 no-till from the neighbor. That is the drill I should be using to plant into worked ground. But, I just can't bring myself to run a John Deere...
Frankly, I feel like crap today and just don't feeling running around looking at fields whose owners have no clue what to do with them and expect me to be the Wilco field man. If there was somewhere I could just go and drive in circles and not really think too much. That is the sort of field I need today. I have that field but it is too wet. I'm going to check it out as soon as I post.
Photos will appear in no real order.
The once with corn and a 2-135 is the neighbor's corn field. He hired us to chop 500 ton. Most of it was very tall. The stocks and ears varied in thickness and quality. Really amazing differences from one end of the field to the other end. Some of the ears were tiny and not filled. Then, right down the row, it would be moster ears and huge thick stocks. Not sure what he did with fertilizer and water to get that to happen. It probably averaged 30 tons.
Photo with the drill in the dust is what I was doing the field before it rained. Fellow disk-ripped the field three times and had me use my Great Plains no-till drill as a secondary tillage device.... Well, the GP drill cuts through the sod really well. He had me plant shallow into what was basically powder with root balls, so I'm betting there is a lot of wheat on top of the ground right now.
It took way longer to plant at 4.5 mph with me bouncing all over inside the cab. 100 acres in two and 1/2 days. Forgot my lunch one day. The White has a defroster panel that you can lift to blow air on the windshield. I sometimes use that as a refridgerator. I found some chocolate covered raisens and had those with my coffee. They were only a few weeks old. They were not so bad...
Dust was so bad I couldn't see the drill behind me. Hope the GPS was working...


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!