The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, July 1, 2011

An intesting day

So this Mexican fellow was talking to the uncle in the store today. He made trip to Rome and saw the Pope. He has been praying for people. He works for a neighboring farmer who has a lot of money. One of the bosses there is kind of ill tempered. The Mexican fellow was saying how he was praying for this man and praying that they would all be able to work as one. I had to laugh quietly to myself. Now that is one true example of Christianity. I myself have not lived up to the standard set by this man. I don't even work with the guy and I once to the fellow to...um...well. How do I say it, other than it is an act technically impossible to do except for some earthworms. It was a bad day...
It was also interesting that he was not praying that the fellow would be nice or that he would not annoy the guy or that he would have grace to deal with him. No, he was praying that they could all work together as one team. This fellow really cares about his job and the people he works with! Amazing to me as someone who has experienced the other sort of employee.
So anyway, the fellow had quite the testimony. He really had some insight into how your Christian beliefs should affect your attitudes toward others.
He asked us to pray for him and in turn wanted to know what we need in our lives that he could pray for us. My uncle was concerned about his health and being able to continue working at the shop as that is pretty much his whole life.
By this time I had been drawn into the conversation as the Uncle had mentioned my dead mower and lack of funding. The fellow says he will pray for money. I said that I didn't want money. If he was going to pray for me to gain something I would like to have things just not go wrong. If I could have one wish it would be for good fortune. The money would take care of itself. I should have asked for anger management and the grace to accept unwanted advice without suggestion the giver of the unwanted advice not violate himself.
I didn't think much about it until this fellow I've been selling hay to called and told me he would trade me his nearly new New Holland 1411 hay mower in exchange for the remainder of my hay and the $3,500 he owed me.
I thought about the deal for an hour or so. I previously found a fellow to mow for me but he had mower problems and didn't get it done.
I thought about the 100+ tonnes of hay I have stored in the barn. I looked at the calendar and wondered how I would sell 100 tonnes of slightly over ripe two year old hay.
I called up the service department of the dealer who takes care of his mower and asked about it. They said it was a really good mower.
I called the fellow up and said I would do it.
So I paid either $12,000 or $20,000 for a pretty good mower which is worth probably $13,000. It just depends what value you assign the hay. I don't want a New Holland 1411 as it is a 10 foot mower and I had a 12 foot hydro-swing Hesston. With the Hesston you can swing the tractor on either side of the mower so you can cut back and forth like a swather. The New Holland prices are more expensive than AGCO.  On the other hand I'm getting a little annoyed with AGCO and I need a taste of Fiat to bring me back down to earth.
I imagine in the end this will all go sideways as is my luck, but right now I attribute it all to the Hispanic fellow who made a trip to see the Pope. And... I'm not even slightly Catholic.
In other news... I welded the old disk mower back together. We put it all back together and started it up. No noise, no vibration, it sounds good. I am not going to run it again.
I am thinking about putting it on Craigslist. I am not sure the ethics. I think I will just spell out what is wrong and put a low price on it. If it sells it sells. If not, there will be a consignment auction sometime in the next few years.
Tomorrow I'm cutting Muddy Valley. I can even check the weather from the top of the page.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the New Holland Budde. People seem to like them here,, the older ones anyway. I really need one myself but for 13 head of cattle I hesitate to spend much on a newer machine. But then not much about my cattle operation makes economic sense anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the Bible says that the prayers of a RIGHTEOUS man availeth much. I always figured that's why mine usually end up with different answers than I hope for.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!