The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Almost done with hay, movies on Sunday, the sky is blue...

I think I will show movies on Sunday night. Hope it is not too late for everyone to change their last minute plan tickets.
We are on the last field of grass hay. We are actually doing a hay field for a couple nice ladies and the only reason I'm doing that one is that they agreed to pay the outrageous price I quoted them. After bouncing around the field I think I didn't charge enough...
I have had a farm at Gopher Valley for something like 20 years. For the last five years I've been threatening to quit. But, the old folks that talked me into making hay for them 20 years ago, beg me to continue. I like older folks and so I agree to do it just one more year.
The problem with older folks is that they die or lose brain function and then the younger folks take over. The young folks think that the pathetic rent you pay is ripping off the old folks and that you are making a fortune off them. That is because the young folks think they are entitled to all the old folk's money so that THEY can spend it.
I lost one farm last year and I see the grandkids are now making lots of over-ripe hay. They have all new small equipment. Small tractors with cabs and a/c. A new baler, a new little disk mower, and a new tedder. They are going really fast on the smooth fields. They have not said thanks but they did wave when they went by.
When I got that farm from Mr. Allen, who pretty much talked me into doing it, and who promised me I could have it forever, it was a mess of weeds and rough ground. But, that was a long time ago. If I would have bought a house instead, I would now have something worth money, but that is water under the bridge...
I just had a talk with my other landlady. She must have had a small stroke. She repeats herself. Last year she forgot she told me I didn't need to pay rent as I worked her fields and they got rained out before I could plant. So I gave her $1,000 and told her I forgot and I apologized. What is the point in arguing.
That all happened about the time her step-son-in-law moved in with her. He lost his job and her family hated to see her live alone.
That all sounds good, but he is a very strange guy. I kind of think he hides from me... I always look for people around the house and then stop if I see them, or at least wave. I saw him in his garden but he would never look up. I was in a hurry and didn't stop and press the issue. I should have.
Yesterday, all the doors in the garage were open and the gate to the road was open. As soon as I started raking all the doors were closed. But, when I started stacking I saw the land lady emerge. I stopped and talked to her. No step-son appeared.
The neighbor's think he is tweaking and cooking in the garage, but, of course, they will not stop in and see her as the gate is closed.
I suggested to her that he expand his garden and mentioned the good soil next to the creek. She said she thought he needed a tractor. He also needs a truck for his plumbing business which he doesn't actually do. I assume he already has the pants for it...
The other day I took my daughter to work with me and she ran the tedder.
Here is a phone video of the event.

In other news... I was accused of spilling hydraulic oil on Gopher Valley road, but I didn't. Someone else did the dirty deed.
I also think I sold most of my rained on hay for below the cost of my production but that means it will be gone, lots of things when wrong. One truckload already is on its way to California. Also a fellow drove his log truck into the creek which is kind of entertaining, in a depressing sort of way. As in, if you are BP you can poison the Gulf of Mexico and ruin the Florida shrimp industry and get away with it but heaven forbid you drive your log truck in the ditch or loose a bucket of hydraulic oil.
I also have a link to an article which tells you what to do if you find Fender's blue butterfly in your field at Gopher Valley but I lost the link. I'll tell you what you do, which is not what the article says to do. You post No Trespassing signs, you pretend not to know what Lupines look like, and you swear ignorance if someone from the nature conservatory rats you out. Because..., the farming practices you are doing are what promotes the Lupines and the Butterfly and they assume the butterfly is there by chance and survives in your field despite your farming practices. I've seen some unofficial tests and the butterfly does better where the hay is cut. This does not fit the party line however so it is not true...
But, now I need to go to work.

6 comments:

  1. Down here in CA/NV the story is that all the alfalfa and grass hay in the US is being shipped overseas which is why you can't hardly find any here and when you do it is rained on and $15 a 90# bale. Why are you hoarding it all for yourself? Give us a break and ship some to us. I need 40 tons. Yr killin me.

    and I Still hate Spandex Monkeys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice video. Your baler must have a wide pickup. The sky is not blue here. It is raining and about 40 degrees colder than a few days ago. I wanted to go to an auction sale and buy a hay conditioner but guess not today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, do the grandkids hire you to stack or do it the hard way?
    Fenders? what Fenders? I got a pair of 30's era truck fenders in the barn. Hmmmmm maybe an idea for a sculpture. Course they are rust colored not blue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous-It is all for sale, come and get it! Perhaps you could bring me a nice Freeman 270 baler to make it worth your while.

    Ralph, I also have an Allen V-rake. The routine is as follows, cut and leave medium width windrows so the ground can dry out a little along with the hay. Let it sit 2-3 days. Run over it with the tedder and spread out the windrows. If it is dry then we rake two windrows together right away and if it has wet spots we let it sit another day and then double rake. Using a Hesston 4690 3-tie baler mostly. Sometimes a Hesston 14x18 small baler. Both balers have wide pick ups.

    Muddy-I have had no contact with the grand kids since last year. I would stack for them if they made their bales 46" long at the strings and 85 pounds in weight and turned them all on edge. My daughter wants the Marmon Harrington dump truck. Strange girl...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you shipped me enough hay you could buy this baler...


    http://bend.craigslist.org/grd/2495777898.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous, that is pretty much what I am looking for. It is only three loads of hay. I've got 10. Although I think it should be $1,500-$2,000 less money. Might be in really good shape. It is wider than 10ft so it won't fit on your trailer when you come to get your hay.
    I am happy to sell hay. I have all my grass hay in the barn right now and need to get $120/ton but might cut a little more for a regular commentor. Would do $90-$100 in the field. Am asking $140 locally as I don't care if I sell once it is in the barn. Sold most of my bad hay for $50-$75/ton. I just assume trucking to Idaho would be a killer. Perhaps it could be done. If you have an idea on how to make it happen email me from my blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!