The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Thursday, July 14, 2011

A fundemental problem with 21st century farming

I posted about this before, but I called my New Holland dealer to inquire about a new small baler. (before the rain on 40 acres) I wanted hydraulic tension, 540 PT, 14x18 bale chamber, heavy duty model. He called me back and started with payment terms first, but I finally got a price. $27,000+ He just called me back and I said I was no longer interested. He thinks I'm depressed... I think he actually cares.
At $27,000 I would need four times the acres I do now and two balers to get it done. It would not by logistically possible for me to do it-as far as I can tell.
But, I digress.
I see Frank James posted photos from an IH field day. A multi-million dollar field day. Read this post and then come back here and listen to me whine....
I'm sure on NewAgTalk there would be all the blathering on about economy of scale, and get big or get out, or whatever other meglamaniac BS is popular in professional farming circles these days.
But, and this is a big Butt... Fewer bigger farmers may mean bigger profits for those farmers but it also means less overall political clout-in the same way farmers had political clout in the past. Which could be the point.
Fewer Farmers mean fewer votes-plain and simple.
But, Fewer Farmers means a different distribution of dollars to lobbyists. Meaning a 6,000 acre farmer has different concerns which are more in line with big business than with those of us with small businesses and that farmer will drop a much bigger contribution in one spot than would 100 small farmers with slightly differing viewpoints. (not sure this makes exact sense)
Fewer Farmers mean fewer young people leaving the farm with a sympathetic farming view point which gives us a less favorable public image. This does not matter so much to the big guys who can make it illegal to take photos of their farms.
Fewer Farmers means that farm equipment will get bigger and more expensive and will not be designed to last 50 years. That is bad for us bottom feeders.
Fewer Farmers means less farm dealers with bigger stores which is bad for service.
Fewer Farmers means that State Fairs are boring.
Fewer Farmers means there are fewer hot farmer's daughters which ruins a whole series of traveling salesman jokes.
Oh, there are no more traveling salesmen either.
Oh well, I guess that is progress...
I seem to get off subject from time to time. I have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm just grumpy. Got my hay rained on....

9 comments:

  1. I can agree with all that Budde. With each passing year I believe that small farms and farmers are headed for extinction. Even less political power than we have now (if that is possible).
    As I watch the thunderstorms circling my unbaled hay I look forward to the day when I am just a hobby farmer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Budde: "IH" is as dead as Studebaker. Regardless of what all the 'Farmall' or "International Harvestor" advocates say, it's "CASE" as in "J.I. CASE". All they did was purchase the remains out of bankruptcy, including the rights to red paint.

    CASE was and is successful. IHC was not. Important point to remind all the IHC sychophants out there...

    All The Best,
    Frank W. James

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are just bitching because you are NOT a big farmer. Instead of setting there and saying I can't you need to just get off your ass and do it. Your farm equipment should be either at the scrap yard on in a museum. Get a real job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does make exact sense.

    How many of those big guys mellow into interesting old characters with a wry sense of humor and the horizon in their eyes? Humility is going the way of the old fence rows in a landscape of absentee owners, corporate livestock and widening fields.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's graduaally going to turn into big farms and gardeners, with the farmers trying to put the gardeners out of business. Small and medium farms will be found only among the Amish (if there).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything you say makes perfect sense. There is nothing wrong with your logic.
    Anonymous is an idiot who doesn't know what he is talking about and is just trying to get a reaction. My guess is he works for minimum wage sweeping floors somewhere or more likely is on welfare. He probably pedals to his "real job" because of too many dwi's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frank, you are right. Although perhaps it would be better to say, "Fiat Field Day."

    Anon-My personal issues are well documented in the blog...So are you in favor of big farms?

    Collieguy-I think not. But, perhaps I'm wrong. I think hard work, like following a horse at age 12, makes for an interesting character.

    Gorges, that is my opinion as well

    Muddy, Anonymous comments bug me but I leave that feature so everyone can still comment when google gets picky with browsers

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year I was in Amish country and they seemed to be doing very well but I also noticed that they are concentrated in an area where a small farm with lots of children and a supportive community make it possible to prosper. They also are on very rich soil.

    My understanding is that most of the farmers in your class need to work day jobs to make ends meet.

    I don't have an answer except the same one I have for all business. Get the government out and let the prize go to the ones who make it happen. I would imagine if the big farmers didn't have all the government perks holding them up you would be more competitive.

    Do you need workers? There is a guy outside the 7/11 who says he can't find work.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pumice, I'm not sure it is the government perks holding up the big farmers. You can borrow a lot of money at low interest rates and everything just makes large scale farming more efficient. But, yet it seems wrong. I don't really have it all figured out. I just don't like it.
    I need workers but no longer have the patience to deal with them. I just work longer hours...

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!