The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's day

I was helping Sadie with her homework. One assignment was to interview a veteran in your family. My Uncle was in WWII. He was in the 3rd Army. I think we was a clerk. He carried a typewriter. He was pretty close to the Battle of the Bulge. Was very nearly involved. Once drove Patton in a jeep.
My Father was exempted as a farmer. My father-in-law was a conscientious objector and went as a nurse or do you say orderly? Was assigned to a mobile x-ray unit. Was also way to close to the Battle of the Bulge.
My Uncle was a conscientious objector and was sent to work in the woods and I think he worked in a mental hospital. Note: these were not unpatriotic people, they had ethical objections to killing other people.
There is quite the generational gap between 1944 and 2009.
I am quite in awe of my Father and Uncles generation. It is unbelieveable what they had to do and what they were willing to do, and what they accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!