The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Monday, November 16, 2009

The wrong argument

I've been listening to both sides in some popular arguments and I'm continually impressed by the idea that people are often not arguing about the same things. I first noticed this with the illegal immigration issues. Most people are not against Mexicans, rather they are against illegal immigration. Those who profit from illegal immigration purposely skew the argument in the media so that people who should be united on an issue are at each other's throats. Pretty clevery eh?
I ran across this story on the death penalty whilst wandering about the internet. It is about a fellow who was accused of killing someone and sentenced to death. Then a number of years later, a new investigator discovered that the blood on the victim's pants didn't match the victim or the convicted killer.
Now, the article left out any circumstantial evidence or any info about the supposed killer. The story was about the wrong guy being convicted.
However, I think this has a lot to say about the death penalty as administrated in a lot of cases.
I read a story a while back about a fellow in Texas who was executed and then proved innocent later. The Republic of Texas wouldn't even offer an apology.
The story also brings up some interesting questions about the credibility of arson investigators. Or rather the incompetence of arons investigators. Like the one from the insurance company who denied a claim for my neighbor's shop. He said there was a hotspot in one corner that indicated the fire was set. That was the corner where the cutting torch was sitting. Yup, now that was a hot spot!!!
Anyway...
The argument about capital punishment is always should the state execute a man or not...
Well, the State does have the right to do such a thing....
Murder has always been a capital crime....
I wonder if the question should be, does the state have the credibilty, the competence, the honesty, or the integrity to execute someone. I'd pretty much say no to that.
I think execution as a crime prevention measure only works with public executions that are swift and sure.
I think execution works only as an reminder of the arbritrary power of the state. The Texas decisions only prove that Texas can and do what the state of Texas wants to do.
That is my opinion...

Edit: Somewhere there is a passage in the Bible that sums it all up. Perhaps I'll look it up this evening. Something about rendering unto Cesear that what is Cesears and if you don't they will come get you and throw you in jail. Basically saying that you want to keep a low profile cause if you get noticed problems will follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!