The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Lunch on the farm

I remember the farm lunches from the old days.
We didn't call them lunch, we called them dinner. The evening meal was called supper.
When I was a wee lad Grandma would cook dinner on the farm. There was always potatoes and gravy. The grown ups ate at the house. I only remember being there once.
The younger workers ate at a picnic table in the back yard. This was more fun as Skipper, (the resident black lab) would eat anything as long as it smelled like tuna fish. So it was quite entertaining to see my cousin feed banana peels to the dog and see the dog wolf them down in one bite.
After we moved to the farm Mom always made big dinners at 12 noon. You dropped everything and came to dinner. It was quite important not to be late as Dad ate at noon.
When we were working off the farm Mom packed huge lunches. They always had cut up apples or oranges and a sandwich. And we always got a big thermos full of ice water.
I don't have lunches like that anymore.
That is partly because I keep loosing the lunch cooler and the thermos. I never seem to do the same thing all day and I change vehicles and locations and there is always a crisis.
I will tell you the one thing I have learned is to always take your lunch, a water bottle, and a heavy shirt with you where ever you go. There is absolutely no promise you will make it back to the pickup before you die of thirst or freeze or starve.
I took for for Gopher Valley last week with no lunch. I was in a hurry.
I did find a Snickers bar and I had coffee that my wife insisted I take. I found the snickers bar in the toolbox of the M670 super. It was left over from when I planted corn. It was not in the best condition. It also was partly melted.
But, I was hungry...
Snickers have peanuts which are a source of protein.
I would sure love to have one of those roast beef dinners, with mashed potatoes and gravy, and beans cooked to death with a little chunk of ham or bacon with them. And I would really love to have some wilted lettuce, but suggesting that is like asking for a meth sandwich...
I'm having berry pie and coffee for breakfast right now. I suppose that is not USDA recommended...

6 comments:

  1. Absolutely right, dinner is mid day and supper is in the evening. When did the world change? Or have I just been wrong all my life?
    These days the most important thing not to forget when out in the field is my cell phone. When all else fails I can usually call somebody for help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call breakfast what it is, noon meal dinner, evening meal supper and anything you catch between is lunch. When I was coming up, neighbors still gathered to shell each others' ear corn and the farm wives competed for the reputation of putting on the best dinner. Fine times for the youngest of us who gloried in physical labor, braved bumblebee nests, and were blissfully ignorant of what breathing dust could wreak.

    Ever consider stashing a baggie of dark roast coffee beans along with the Snickers bar? Chew a few of those overwhelms the stale overtones of last winter's Snickers and gives a genuine caffeine jolt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I shouldn't read you early AM, at least
    before breakfast....my dad grew potatoes and of
    course my mom had the garden, so I fixed new
    potatoes and peas creamed for my meal. Just a
    big bowl brought back fond memories as both of
    them are gone 12 years now. Thanks for the
    memories! COG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ralph and Collieguy, I'm glad I am not alone. Dinner is the big noon meal and supper is in the evening, unless it is a big supper or you are in the city and then it is dinner. Makes me hungry. Perhaps I should have had more than a cold strip of bacon and a large chunk of pie for breakfast.

    Ralph, I hate my cell phone, but I carry it everywhere and use it all the time.

    Collieguy, They have fake threshing days on Sundays here. It is funny to see people in short pants feeding the threshing machine on a blistering Sunday afternoon. My mom would still fix big dinners when we were finishing up the silage or if someone came to help us harvest something. The era is over. I will try the coffee beans.

    COG, mmmm, potatoes, Mom's cooking, pie! Must have more pie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grandpa favoured "Bit O Honey" candy bars, havn't seen one for a long time but you could usually find an old one in the tractor tool box of that same M670 when he was around. Grandma often served pie for dessert after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In our case, we call breakfast as it is, noon meals as lunch, and the evening meals as supper. I am pretty jealous of your childhood, as you get to experience living in a farm and dining with your grandma's well-prepared food. The ambiance is totally supreme and you can really appreciate each flavorful bite!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!