The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Saturday, May 14, 2011

I planted corn

Yesterday, I planted 11.4 acres. It is a start. It was not on our farm, it was for my neighbor. Many things went wrong.
1. I got to the field to plant NON GMO corn and opened the lid on row 5. There was corn in the disk. Not a lot but it was fat big kernels. Not sweet corn. I have no idea where it came from. I took that disk off myself. There was no corn in it.
2. Rows 1 and 5 kept plugging up. Upon further inspection I discovered there were chunks of moldy corn stuck to the inside of the seed tubes. We had all the disks out and I specifically instructed someone to clean every seed tube. I would say that did not happen.
3. The keys sheared on all the insecticide boxes.
4. MoCap stinks and makes me sick.
5. The #$%^&*( monitor alarm will not shut off!!!!!!
It took me from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. to do four acres.
Then the farmer's wife brought us supper from Ashe's Cafe. That was truly a nice gesture. All that Mocap on my fingers should also rid me of internal parasites.
After supper I did another 7 acres. Then it got too dark and the ground was too wet to see the maker trail. This is pretty wet conventionally tilled ground. Lots of wet clods. The extra no-till coulters on the White 5100 are really doing a nice job.

There was a little bit of a hill in the field. I think the six row pulls harder in wet ground.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like your population monitor has the same disease as the one I have. I still say they are using computers in these things that are WAY TOO SMART, they get bored and then think of ways to mess with us.

    Hope it dries a little for you so you can get your planting finished...

    All The Best,
    Frank W. James

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had a bad day Budde, but you may have me beat. I had to wait 24 hours for a refill of anhydrous, some sort of new record. I could have had another hundred acres done but guess not. We are already two weeks behind normal and I really didn't need to lose another day. And I don't feel like making up time by sacrificing sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, I'm an idiot. I'm using an 8 row monitor with a six row planter and didn't realize I had to take the light bulbs out of the extra rows. Took my spare bulb out of row 7 and silence. But, I had other problems with seed rates and fertilizer and a scramble to plant 60 acres on two farms for two different people before it rained.
    Ralph, Not such a bad day but frustrating. I just can't seem to handle the little details that mean the difference between success and mediocrity.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!