The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A fool and his money

I bought a turntable today. It is not just any turntable it is a Dual 1019 with a Shure V15 Type II. Of course the needle is bad... But if it were only good the collectors would pay a pile for it on ebay. I have an old Stanton D71 that I mounted on the EXTRA head shell. Dual headshells are a little fragile and a little harder to find than the normal twist lock headshells.

It came in the box with packaging, a dustcover (hard to find) and the spindle so I can stack records for multiple play and it plays 78 rpm records! I tried my old Frank Sinatra that has been hanging on the wall and it sounded really bad. Somewhere I've got someone famously obscure singing Blue Moon of Kentucky and I think I have a couple records of Father-in-law singing in the Cascade College chorus.
Plus, I can now fulfill my promise of recording my mother's old 78's to CD. Not sure she still cares, better late than never I suppose.
It took a little work with the soldering iron but I got it going. It is a bit noisy, some motor hum and a little static which I suspect comes from poor grounding. You can hear turntable rumble with headphones so while 78's are so noisy you could tell, I not sure I can record good quality regular albums. I doubt I will as you can get everything on MP3. Perhaps making a base out of a chunk of solid oak 16"x18" will cut down on the rumble.
I wish I had my old Audio Technica AT155LC. It vanished during our move along with my nice Technics direct drive turntable. I'll never be able to afford something like that again.
Of course my 30 year old stereo is not that great to begin with. Just the old KA3500 that came from Discus Records when Butch sold out in 1980 something. I have Baby Advent speakers and they sound kind of muddy. My Tascam reel to reel got wet and has some motor issues and the cassette deck died so that is the way it goes.
Now I have to build a base for the Dual as didn't come with one. (Although I guess I could just keep using the cardboard box it came in. Seems to work pretty good. ) I think the audiophiles call it a plith. Either that or the guy had a lisp and was telling me he had to go to the bathroom. I don't know I don't hear as well as I used to.
I also took the opportunity to drive all over the former industrial section of Portland looking for electric motor shops and the offending chinese capacitor. It is amazing how Sam "I screw underage interns and pretend that people are homophobic when they object" Adams and crew have decimated the parts of town where people actually work for a living. I'm sure it is for the best. They are smarter than we are so we should not object.

5 comments:

  1. It sounds ok on my computer speakers Budde. I've got a big old wooden case radio/record player combination here from the 1940s that still works. Plus a small truck load of lp records that have accumulated over the years and will probably never play. Unless I start my own internet/disk jockey station.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds as if we all got together we'd have a room full of plastics with grooves in them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Them were the days. Haven't had a turntable since Katrina. Between them and 8 tracks we had all the music we needed.
    Kids today don't experience the joy of lugging albums around the room when they want to play them.
    The times are a'changing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I keep saying that I'm going to record my 78's and get rid of the montrous old hand-crank Brunswick phonograph, but I keep putting it off.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ralph, perhaps you should start an internet radio station. It would give me something to listen to in the shop. Unless it is all Britney Spears...
    Griper, I would expect we are a bit old school here at the Lazy Farmer...
    Bobby, The times changed already... 11 years ago
    Gorges, A hand-crank Brunswick, surely you jest! The record store fellow told me I needed a special cartridge to play 78's. Perhaps I will make another trip to GoodWill!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!