The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, October 18, 2024

I replace bushings on my Great Plains 1500

 I am back and work and full of optimism. This lasted for an hour. It is cold and foggy and I am replacing a "few" opener bushings on my Great Plains 1500 no-till drill.

The GP1500 uses the Straight Arm 00 openers which are hooked to the 4" tool bar in an offset manner. They use the same mounting. bracket but turn the hinge point opposite directions for alternating openers.  So half the opener arms are easy to get to and half are a pain in the butt.

If i was smart. I would just remove the easy openers and set them aside for later. Then I would replace the bushings on the remaining openers and go plant my orchard grass. As it is on 15" spacing.

But, that means I would disable the drill for wheat and I expect a call any time to plant some crazy hillside because a neighbor is behind.

Also, because of the design of the hinge on the 00 straight arm opener, the pivot bolts must be cut between the opener and the bracket with a cutoff wheel. The design uses a carriage bolt though a steel bushing. The opener arm has plastic bushings with shoulders. They pivot around the stationary steel tube. Over time the tube and carriage bolt actually rust solid and must be cut at each end to remove the opener.

When I reassemble the opener pivot I coat the carriage bolt with anti-seize or sticky grease. I also tried painting the inside of the tube and hoping this will help also.

Of course everything is super easy to get at to work on 

It should be a winter job, but I broke my leg last winter and didn't get around to it the winter before.

It got me a little depressed thinking about my previous post on how to make money farming the low budget way. 

You have to work every moment to survive, this is fine if farming is also your hobby. But if I could figure out how to work for micro managers and enjoy it, that would be a good life. NO thinking at work. Come home and live!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!