The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Decisions on the future of my blog

So the deal is this...
I'm now the chairman of a neighborhood group which is dedicated to stopping the expansion of a park that is at the end of our road.
The park is a problem because it is at the end of our narrow road and is next to an active landfill that stinks.
The end result is that it will then become a haven for the horrible beer drinking, meth smoking, copper wiring stealing morons that have become our lower classes.
I have kept my identity a "secret" for years mostly because this blog is how I feel right now and is not meant to be taken really seriously. If I use real names then I have to be accurate and correct and worry about people getting their feelings hurt. Also, I feel sort of pretentious using my real name. The blog is not really about you thinking I'm clever, its about you getting a laugh and me letting off a little steam and getting you to laugh.
As a farmer with no aspirations of greatness I had little to lose.
Now I have a real job and my blog sometimes involves my job.
It is not much of a stretch for local folk to figure out who I am and where I work. In fact it is pretty obvious.
For example, I ride a red Triumph which I've owned for 30 years. I've lived in the same community for 30 years. I've lived in the same house for a decade on the same farm that my grandparents bought in 1943. We farm with Minneapolis-Moline and White tractors. I work at the only college that can be called local. I drive the only red gator on campus.
I was a little surprised at the response to my idea of going private or invitation only.
I apparently have a small number of very faithful readers.
I guess I should add a question box at the bottom.
Check here if you think this blog post could get me fired...

Note: For those of you who oppose putting a park on a proposed Superfund site there will be another meeting to discuss organizing an opposition. It will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday, March 2, at the back room of the Hotel Oregon.
I will be the lady with frizzy hair and a purple cardigan smelling faintly of Chronic. Might as well just admit who I am right now... You can trust me...

9 comments:

  1. Uh-oh, Budd; it sounds as if you are becoming a politician! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. open a second 'serious' blog, but don't give up this one. because i enjoy it.
    as you become more active in other things you may have to post less often.
    also, why would you be fired? it is nobody's business but yours and i reckon most of your readers don't even live in the same state. i'm in eastern ohio.
    i have no idea where you live or work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that is the kind of people a park attracts I can see why nobody would want it nearby. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You need a good slogan for yard signs, like "Stop Tweeker Park", a separate website, which could be nothing more than a single page, ideally stoptweekerpark.com, and a Facebook page with a similar name.

    Then you need to work on phrasing like:

    "tweekers from Portland and Salem"

    "children playing in the toxic runoff of an abandoned landfill"

    "can you guarantee you're not creating another Love Canal or Flint?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found the meeting tonight depressing. Out of 20 interested people seven showed up. I don't care about the park as much as I care about grass roots resistance. I want to learn how to resist and be successful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. yeah. potlucks. make sure there are at least two jello salads for complete success.
      #resistance

      Delete
  7. With banjo music by Flying Pig Fiddle and Banjo.
    Or The Legendary Stardust Cowboy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you're really talking toxic waste

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!