The Useful Duck!

Contribute to my Vacation, please...

Friday, March 28, 2014

I repair a power steering line

We had a huge rainstorm. I suspect the peas I planted earlier in the week are now floating.
I took the opportunity to work on the G1355.
Below is a photo of what $150 power steering hoses look like. See how they seem to glow?

I got one part number wrong and I really want to get the tractor running so I modified the bad hose. It is rubber connected to 1/2" steel line with a complicated bend and a fitting I don't have. So I cut off the rubber part and heated up the junction with the steel line to see if it was welded or brazed. It was brazed and came right off. I then made a hose which had a special adapter which put a ferrel on the steel line, kind of like a copper tubing fitting.
I even test fit if first.
Then when I got everything all crimped I found out the hose was too short. By a @#$%^& 1/4"!
So I made a new hose.
I started up the tractor and cranked the wheel. No oil leaks!
I was pretty amazed at the amount of air a 585 cubic inch engine will pump. I decided to see if it would smoke out the rats which have moved in behind the work bench in the shop. So I closed the doors and went to the store and had a Pepsi. (Not leaving the farm)

This is what it looked like when I returned. Smoke was oozing out of every crack in the wall.

6 comments:

  1. Well rats! At least it is running and making smoke so you are ahead of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the rats really gave a rats bottom about the smoke. I think I'm going to have to use poison.

      Delete
  2. I see the smoke. I don't see the rats. Maybe they went to have a coke too.

    Grace and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the rats came over to my place and are pretending to be gophers under my carport. They won't eat gopher bait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. put out dishes of grape soda pop. death on rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never heard of that. Why does it kill rats? My neighbor used to drink grape soda pop and vodka. He is at least 80 years old now. He is not really a rat. Just annoying.

      Delete

Tell me what you think

Please leave comments! It is really easy!

You just type your comment in the text box below the post. You can be anyone you want.
And...Would the joker who keeps clicking "offensive" please leave an explanation ?!